Won't Potty Outside When Raining

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

xanadu72

Won't Potty Outside When Raining

Post by xanadu72 »

My adult dog who we rescued from a shelter will not use the toilet outside if the grass is wet. I have tried several ways to encourage her to go, but she won't even leave the porch if it's wet outside. Any suggestions?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

My Greyhound is like this, I put a waterproof coat on him, if he still won't go out I put a lead on and take him out. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Mine learn that they are taken out - no ifs no buts no I do'wanna, they go out.

They are also walked in the rain.

I suggest you dress for the rain and do the same with yours. They soon realise that not going out in the rain is not an option. The first couple of times your dog will resist and therefore I suggest you turn every 'out' into a short walk - then in and a drying with a towel, which they all enjoy.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

I bought Addy a raincoat and boots, and took her out in them the first time in a pouring rain.

She quicly realized they were keeping her fairly dry, and got to like the raincoat and tolerate the boots quickly, and became much easier to walk in the rain.

Lis
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Yep my Ellie is a rain dodger too. I find the 'both hands on bum and out you go' technique pretty effective :lol:
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

At first Merlin wouldn't go out without his raincoat on, now he doesn't bother, he is out and back in again in the time it took to put his coat on. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
xanadu72

Post by xanadu72 »

This dog will literally hold it for days and we end up with her going in the house during the night. I've tried the you're going out and making her stay out there, but even after it is done raining she won't go on the wet grass. Any other time she is absolutely fine. Any suggestions for making her go out on the wet grass even after it has finished raining?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I have a dog similar, he will hold it and he will make himself ill in the process.

As soon as is humanly possible, construct a doggy toilet area, with a smooth gravel floor (so it drains well) or bark mulch (NOT cocoa mulch!!)

Invest in a decent doggy waterproof coat and make sure its the right size, lots of dogs do not like to pee/poo with something too big flapping around their bums.

Bitches especially can be funny about weeing on wet grass as it tickles their girly bits! (and i cant say i blame them... i wouldnt want to!).

Once you have taken those steps, start as you mean to go on and absolutely prevent her from going in the house.

Make each trip out into a short walk, starting and ending in the garden.
DONT stand out side for hours on end getting annoyed, out for five minutes, back inside. If shes not been then shut her in the same room as you so she cannot sneak off to do it elsewhere.

Reward EVERY toilet outside with praise and her most favourite treats.

Persistence is the key but somewhere to pee without wet grass and a raincoat will help a lot - my old girl has finally realised she gets less wet if she just zooms out does her wee straight away, than if she piddles about not wanting to do it! But you cannot let them make themselves ill in the process, so raincoats and non grass surface should help.
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

I've managed to clicker train "do wee-wee" :lol: As I'm not the world's best clicker trainer I'm very proud of this so please forgive the boasting.
Bitches especially can be funny about weeing on wet grass as it tickles their girly bits!
and watching them weeing on stubble is really eye-watering :shock: