Herding

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

evaluv

Herding

Post by evaluv »

I have an australian shepherd, german shepherd dog mix who enjoys herding dogs she is familiar with. She'll nip at their heels and bite their ears.

Also, if one of the dogs is panting/has mouth open she'll go up and lick at their mouths consistently until they get annoyed. How can I stop these behaviors?
evaluv

Post by evaluv »

I'd also like to add that it's mostly when they're running that she'll do this. I think some of it is what she thinks is play (although it bothers them to no end) and the rest herding instinct.
catrinsparkles

Post by catrinsparkles »

evaluv wrote:I'd also like to add that it's mostly when they're running that she'll do this. I think some of it is what she thinks is play (although it bothers them to no end) and the rest herding instinct.
Mmmm with great difficulty i think as she is doing what she was bred to do.

You might be able to divert her instinct onto chasing balls or frisbees.
Cejemere

Post by Cejemere »

Hmm...you know I also have an Australian Shepherd, and she loves to herd dogs also, she has also done it to kids. And yes she nipped one of them, it is what they are bred to do. You can normally find one running along a herd of cattle or sheep, herding them, it is just in their nature. They nip to get what they are herding to do what they want them to do. She herds my dogs all the time, they dont seem to mind since she is the alpha female in my pack. The german shepherd I just picked up from the pound does the licking thing, she licks my alpha females mouth and my males mouth all the time, by watching it, I have figured that she does this to show that she is being submissive, since she doesnt know where she stands yet, my other shepherd Lady doesnt get the licking as much as the other two dogs so this makes me think this even more. Honestly if the other dogs are tired of her licking, they will put the licker in their place, it could be body motion, or a slight growl. Mine to do it all the time. Hope this helps :o)
Cejemere~ Proud leader of my pack, Bella, Harley,Lady and Honey. Also mommy to Lilly the sugar glider :o)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I used to have a Lab/Collie who was the perfect dog with children especially my 3 boys. It was wonderful because she would herd them if they ran off and bring them back complaining she had nipped their heals. They were told if they hadn't run off she wouldn't have done it so it was their own fault. :lol:

Sorry that isn't any help
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

I used to have a Bouvier that prefered all the kids where he could see them, so he used to shoulder barge them! Therefore I used to have kids flying all over the place! :lol: It did lessen when he got older but it was what he was bred to do ... although with cows!!

Probably no help at all! Other than certain dogs herd and if it's not cows/sheep etc it will be us!! :roll: :lol:
rr2465

Herding

Post by rr2465 »

We are on our 2nd aussie. Our last aussie herded a kid off of his razor scooter and his mom went ballistic - which to me is completely understandable reaction from a parent. I don't know if you'll be able to train this out of your dog but I would try to keep a watchful eye on your dog, especially when they're around running kids!
bigboyullrich

Re: Herding

Post by bigboyullrich »

evaluv wrote:I have an australian shepherd, german shepherd dog mix who enjoys herding dogs she is familiar with. She'll nip at their heels and bite their ears.

Also, if one of the dogs is panting/has mouth open she'll go up and lick at their mouths consistently until they get annoyed. How can I stop these behaviors?
I have an Aussie/heeler mix who used to herd me while we went on runs. I redirected her energy into fetching balls and she is an avid frisbee catcher. They just need a job to do. So instead of herding me she brings me balls and frisbees. Mine loves going to the river to play fetch. Does your dog like water??
dogsRgr8
timandjess06

I'm having a similar problem

Post by timandjess06 »

I have a 1 yr old Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He too is following his natural herding instincts. Although, he's not to the point of actually nipping, he is mouthing our feet/ankles. He loves to fetch and tug so I've tried diverting his attention with a toy/game, but it's not working. I'm hoping to change this behavior before he starts nipping at people.

Thanks for your help,
Tim
bigboyullrich

Re: I'm having a similar problem

Post by bigboyullrich »

timandjess06 wrote:I have a 1 yr old Pembroke Welsh Corgi. He too is following his natural herding instincts. Although, he's not to the point of actually nipping, he is mouthing our feet/ankles. He loves to fetch and tug so I've tried diverting his attention with a toy/game, but it's not working. I'm hoping to change this behavior before he starts nipping at people.

Thanks for your help,
Tim
Don't know much about a Corgi, but I do have a Brittany Spaniel with strong birding instincts. I have begun to "clicker" train her, starting indoors, then to the backyard and eventually in public. You may want to give it a try and see what happens.
dogsRgr8
evaluv

Post by evaluv »

Well, at least I know that a lot of other people have similar herding problems now.

I was watching Victoria on the Greatest American Dog and one of the dogs had a barking issue I think, and she said to get it to not bark you had to train it to bark on command. So I'm going to look into herding lessons, and see if I can afford them, although I doubt I can (my mother is just getting back to work after being out 6 months due to medical conditions, which caused her to lose her job).