Barking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Triki_Riki

Barking

Post by Triki_Riki »

My dog Riki (Russian sheep dog mix) and my puppy Misha (a three month old border collie/whippet cross) play a lot. I think it's absolutely wonderful but the problem is that Misha barks a lot during play with other dogs. I'm worried about our neighbours and the noise sounds terrible (he does it at the park after a polite introduction too). I was wondering if there was someway to train them to play more quietly?

Thanks,
April.
Owner of a two year old Border Collie/Lurcher/Staffie boy AKA a Heinz Variety pooch.
emmabeth

Re: Barking

Post by emmabeth »

I would praise play that is quiet, and put an immediate stop to play that isn't - so make some sound that distracts them (nothign that SCARES them, just makes them look at you) and then redirect them (ask them to come to you and sit for a treat) then send them back to play.

If you interrupt it enough before it gets super barky, they are going to realise that the noise level ends the game, but it will take time - I'd recommend you go round with a bottle of wine or chocolates and explain to your neighbours what you are doing, it always helps :)
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Triki_Riki

Post by Triki_Riki »

Thank you for the advice, I'll start doing that immediately :)
Owner of a two year old Border Collie/Lurcher/Staffie boy AKA a Heinz Variety pooch.
LeonilCraig

Post by LeonilCraig »

My dog also barks a lot while playing. It really sounds annoying. Thanks for that advice. :wink: