new dog 2 questions

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

beachbug909

new dog 2 questions

Post by beachbug909 »

I recently got a shepard mix, she's about a year old. I have a few questions if anyone can help me.

1. I can't get her to walk on a leash. She is so scared that I can't get passed the street we live on. As soon as we get a few houses down, her tail goes between her legs and she pulls in the other direction back towards the house. How do I get her to keep moving??

2. She barks and growls excessively. I can't invite friends over because of it. She won't bite them, she won't even go near them. She just barks and growls. No Matter what I do she won't stop. Any suggestions on keeping her quiet. HELP ME PLEASE!!
Ry

Post by Ry »

People like to try sound avertion coupled with reards for positive behavior...I can't give any definate answers, but it's clear the dog is a nervous dog. Does he/she have a history of being aggressive before you got it? Any sort of trauma it endured?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Never use sound aversion on a nervous dog, it will make the problem ten times worse, you need to build up her confidence.

Does she have a crate? Often very nervous dogs love crates especially if they are covered up. Leave the door open and they go in and out as they want. Many nervous dogs will go in their crates when visitors arrive and don't come out until they have gone.

I wouldn't force her to go further than she is happy with but keep taking her out, gradually she should start to go a little further especially if you encourage her but now force.

It would be safer for her to be on a harness and not a collar, nervous dogs can take off when you least expect it, with a harness on you have less chance of loosing her.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Monster Boss Lady

new dog 2 questions

Post by Monster Boss Lady »

Hi Beachbug 909~ I would suggest in addition to what Mattie said, would be to take your shy friend to the dog park. Hopfully you have one in your area. Keep him/her on the leash or in your lap at first and slowly allow him/her to get familiar to his/her surroundings. I would suggest only staying about 30 minutes the first day, but go everyday or as often as you can. As he/she becomes familiar you will know as you will see him/her start to relax and blossom, play even. Once your friend is convienced that the dog park is fun he/she may be more comfortable to walk down streets that he/she is unfamiliar with. I have seen very shy dogs come completely out their shells. Don't give up. It's totally worth it to see them blossom. :P
~MBL~
Happiness is doing what you love and Loving what you do.
Dee-n-Josh

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

Tiger used to be afraid of EVERYTHING. It took a lot of socialization to make her realize that she was safe, and I wouldn't let anything bad happen to her. The thing is that you must do everything in little, baby steps.

1. To your first question... I agree with Mattie. Just keep taking her out, even if it is only a short trip in the beginning. All of your patience as she learns about the neighborhood will show her that you aren't going to "throw her to the wolves" in scary situations. Eventually, she'll feel more confident about going into new situations, with you by her side.

2. To your second question... I agree with Mattie about the crate training, too. Having a safe place that is all her own was very comforting for Tiger. When she feels scared, she runs to her bed and lays down.

Also, with Tiger, I found that if I "introduce her" to a guest, she has more confidence that they are a good visitor. To do this, I put myself between the guest (at the door) and Tiger (who was more than happy to bark from behind me). I would invite the guest in, and ask them to wait at the door for a minute. I know it is silly, but I went through the formality of "Tiger, this is so and so. So and so, this is Tiger." I guess because I made them wait at the door for a second, Tiger would relax a bit... she knew I was in charge. We practiced introductions at the door quite a bit before she finally relaxed enough to let me bring people in without introductions.

Taking the time to build her confidence is well worth it. When I brought Tiger home from the shelter, she was scared to leave our back porch. Now, she wants to go everywhere with me. She still has times when she is a tad nervous, but we work through it... one baby step at a time.

I wish you both all the best.
Tiger: 4 year old Basenji x something
Solo: 5 month old GSD x Rottie
Both were found at www.petfinder.com
Ry

Post by Ry »

I never said sound aversion was right for this case, ha ha...and sorry for typos. Anyways, the one point I asked earlier still stands, you should probably find out what sort of history the dog had prior to you adopting it. That might help somewhat, because it might shed some light as to why the dog acts in such a manner, although the behavior isn't good under any circumstance.
griffin

Post by griffin »

I can't add much more other than a "try this"....

When you take her out and reach her limit as far as distance, praise her, treat her and then see if you can get her to play some type of game right there. Something fun that doesn't require off leash or put either you in danger. Bring a favorite toy, play a short game of fetch on the leash...

When Eddie (my Lab/Sheppard) was a tiny pup, he was like your girl, too afraid to move anywhere past the house. But I started playing short fetch with him and he relaxed, enjoyed him self; thus seeing the world is scary, but is OK to walk with me. I don't know if this will work for you, but might be worth a try.. :lol:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Ry wrote:I never said sound aversion was right for this case, ha ha.
Ry, if you dont know if a method or technique is right DONT advise it.

And FYI... 'ha ha' wouldnt really cut it if this forum user had tried sound aversion, made her dog worse and wound up with a dog biting someone.

If in doubt, say nowt - we have a responsibility on this forum to ensure that as far as is humanly possible, people do not get given advice that could make matters worse.