Handling terrier in extreme situations

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

foxer

Handling terrier in extreme situations

Post by foxer »

The case is with 5 years old male jack russell terrier, who's calm to be considered as a terrier, but there is still some sharpness in his nature.
As most of the time everything goes so well and smooth, I tend to forget it's still possible for him to lose it all. Today there was this conflict after a walk. Neighbour couple had their dogs ready for going out, but they waited for another person and were just standing still in the hallway across my door. My terrier was loudly beeping and couldn't sit for long periods out of excitement.

Usually in cases of confusion I take him a little father and calm him down with some exercise, but now my only escape was to go to the apartment, and I had hands full of operating the key. So I couldn't physically show the dog where to be. I also didn't want to start a yelling contest inside the house. Only way that came to my mind was to do a soft "kick", a tap that fellow with my foot, to remind him about my presence, but I couldn't do it. I guess I am afraid that neighbour would think I'm a dog beater. (like being a person who has a yodling dog would be any better impression) So we didn't solve that situation, but just fled inside as soon as I got the door open. Which wasn't quickly bc I was so nervous.

But what should I do next time?
And would you say that the feeling I've that everything is usually going well is a scam, because today nothing clearly was.
Nettle

Re: Handling terrier in extreme situations

Post by Nettle »

**** happens :wink: No dog does what we want all the time, and he was sorely tried in this situation. So, what to do next time? No foot taps, no faffing about - get through the door asap and then once inside distract him with something he likes.

It really wasn't a big deal at all, so don't beat yourself up about it. :)
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS