Teethbrushing...?!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Lemonthyme

Teethbrushing...?!

Post by Lemonthyme »

Dear All,
I've not been on the board for quite a while - I do hope you and your 4 legged woofbags are well.
I have a question - does anyone brush their dog's teeth and if so, how do you do it?! I bought a doggy toothbrush and paste for Poppy, but she won't lift her head up or tolerate the brush or brushing in any way. She doesn't mind the toothpaste but then we're talking about a dog who eats worms and snails here.

Any pointers? Or is it best left to the professionals? When we got her from Dog's Trust last year, she'd had dental work whilst in their care and had gleaming pearly whites, however, they are now brownish in patches and yellowy. Gross.

Thanks in advance,

Roddy
Maddie'sMom

Post by Maddie'sMom »

I occasionally brush my dogs teeth, so I can give you some input. However, I think it is easier and more natural to let them gnaw on raw and meaty bones. This alone cleans their teeth probably better than our silly teeth brushing!

As with many things, introducing the tooth brush to a dog has to be gradual and positive. You can let your pup taste the tooth paste on the brush for the first couple of times. Separately, you can get her used to you holding her head up, and pulling up her lips. These sessions need to be brief, and positive. For example, with my GSD Missy I would play with her lips, and touch her gums while talking to her (your such a good girl, smile, be still my good girl, etc) and then when I was done I'd give her a Yummy treat! Then extend the time your are playing with her jowls - so she will learn to tolerate it a bit. Then you can introduce the brush, and take the time back down to "brief" and practice extending the time.

I personally like the type of brush that is actually bristles that you slide on your pointer finger. That's the kind I use on Missy because she was a little weary at first. Its easier to control and do a better job with, in my experience.

It's easier to leave it to the professionals - but it'll also be much more expensive! My vet brags on my girls teeth, but I tell him its the bones, because I'm not that consistent with brushing LOL
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

I brush Addy's teeth most nights, and it does help a lot. I use the fingertip toothbrush, too; it's the easiest for me.

Make sure you're using a toothpaste that tastes good to your dog, and start slowly. You don't have to to the whole mouth the first night, or the second or third. Start with just getting her to learn that the toothpaste tastes good, and comes to her on the fingertip toothbrush.

Lis
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If you want down the raw meaty bones route, none of my dogs has ever had its teeth brushed and they all have spotlessly clean teeth.
thistledown

Post by thistledown »

If you don't fancy feeding raw meaty bones, I'll pass on a tip I got a while ago from the company that makes one of the doggy toothpastes:

use a small 3inch square of cheap muslin dipped in the toothpaste and rubbed over the teeth with your finger. Cheap cotton muslin is quite scratchy and does the job well for plaque. If the toothpaste is too delicious the dog will try to eat it and won't keep his head still, so one that is just tolerated is easier to use.
susan45taylor

Teeth cleaning

Post by susan45taylor »

Hi I have 2 toy poodles, I clean their teeth each evening with a baby tooth brush and dog toothpaste. I have done this since they got their permanent teeth through so they are very used to it now. They are aged 3 and a half and 2 years old. Poodles especially seem prone to bad teeth so this is why I clean them every day. The vet has commented on how clean their teeth are so I feel it is very worthwhile doing them.