Puppy biting problem

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

zelda215

Puppy biting problem

Post by zelda215 »

Hi,

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if I break any conventions. I have a problem with our new puppy. Molly is a yellow lab, 12 weeks old. She is of course wonderfully sweet and bright, has learned sit, up, down very quickly, is almost 100% housebroken and is quite well behaved with my husband and I. The problem is that she seems to think my 12 yr old daughter is a giant chew toy. She chases her everywhere, biting and nipping at her feet/pants/ankles. My daughter initially tended to scream and run, which of course just made the dog think this was a huge game. I've told her to be still and give a loud no, stop playing with her etc., but the puppy persists. What is the most effective way to get the puppy to stop this behavior with my daughter?

Thanks for any help, Jennifer
JudyN

Re: Puppy biting problem

Post by JudyN »

Hi, and welcome to the forum :D

Some pups respond to a loud yelp, as if in pain, and the end of a game, but for some, even a yelp just stimulates them more and it's best to be absolutely silent and ignore them. Of course, ignoring a puppy who is sinking her needle-sharp teeth into your ankle isn't easy, particularly when you're 12... So what she wants to do is to remove herself from the pup, or remove the pup from her, which may be easier if your pup wears a house lead (a thin nylon lead with no loop). Basically, you want to give the pup a timeout, a complete withdrawal of all attention. You can read about this in more detail here: viewtopic.php?f=20&t=13934 Do note that the timeout should be very short, that you have to be very consistent, and that there will be an 'extinction burst' - but eventually, pup will come out of timeout, open her jaws... and change her mind (if only for a moment :wink: ).

But also, you can pre-empt the biting. Make sure your daughter always has a dog toy on her and when pup gets that look in her eye, she can stuff the toy in her mouth instead, and initiate a game involving the toy.

It does take time, and can seem relentless - there were times with my boy I felt that I could happily let him chew all the way up to my elbow if he'd just give me a bit of peace :lol: - but with consistency, the biting will ease off (note that it may well get worse for a bit when she's teething).
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
zelda215

Post by zelda215 »

Thanks, that's pretty much what we've been doing, so we'll keep on :)
K9Steve

Post by K9Steve »

zelda215 wrote:Hi,

This is my first post here, so I apologize in advance if I break any conventions. I have a problem with our new puppy. Molly is a yellow lab, 12 weeks old. She is of course wonderfully sweet and bright, has learned sit, up, down very quickly, is almost 100% housebroken and is quite well behaved with my husband and I. The problem is that she seems to think my 12 yr old daughter is a giant chew toy. She chases her everywhere, biting and nipping at her feet/pants/ankles. My daughter initially tended to scream and run, which of course just made the dog think this was a huge game. I've told her to be still and give a loud no, stop playing with her etc., but the puppy persists. What is the most effective way to get the puppy to stop this behavior with my daughter?

Thanks for any help, Jennifer
You're best bet is to teach your daughter that when the puppy begins chewing, nipping her, tell to make a loud as in high-pitched, sharp, squeally noise like "Ow" (short for "Ouch"). My daughter used to squeal the word, "eel", when we had puppies, and the puppies learned that when she did this it means to stop. Soon the puppy will learn that it is hurting your daughter and will not do it again.
zelda215

Post by zelda215 »

Thanks, this is getting much better!
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

I don't know why the puppy has chosen your 12year old daughter to chew on instead of the everyone in the household.

I've been reading about how dogs and people have communication problems. One thing that kids especially girls like to do is hug dogs, and dogs HATE to be hugged. What is going on before Molly begins biting her? Sometimes, it can be something so minute that no one is aware of it. :shock: According to this book "The Other End of the Leash" by Patricia McConnell, often we give off signs that the dogs don't understand or even misread. She says it can be a very simple tiny change in posture, etc. I'm learning quite a bit about differences in communication especially between humans and dogs. We may be thinking we are saying one thing but our bodies are showing the dog something else. Dogs are especially sensitive to reading behavior and body language, something that we humans aren't always aware of.

Also, puppies are teething. I would make sure Molly has enough chew bones, etc, for her teething. One of those items could be what your daughter might have with her to give to Molly.

We have a small problem with Sandy. Chihuahuas are known to love to nip ankles. :shock:

Also, we notice when Sandy gets into his play mode (lies on front paws down with butt in air). That tells us he is ready to "attack" my Crocks shoes, or husband's shoe laces. We instantly ask him where is his bone (it is a fabric three arm bone that we play tug with him and throw for him. So, suddenly, he changes gears and an runs to look for his cloth bone which is usually kept somewhere on the floor where he can see it or if we find it first, we will throw it. It is easy then to change him from attack mode to play. :D

So, that might be another way for your daughter to distract Molly to find something that she can bite on and chew.

Diane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

zelda215 wrote:Thanks, this is getting much better!
That's great news! :D Out of interest, what do you think worked best for her? The complete ignoring/timeout, or the high-pitched 'Ow!'?
zelda215

Post by zelda215 »

The high pitched OW! as well as making sure my daughter always has a toy in hand to substitute for her flesh. Also, just getting her to stop shrieking and running away has helped. Now when Molly goes for her ankles my daughter stands still and gives a toy and lots of praise when Molly goes for the toy instead of the flesh. So nice to have relative calm with a puppy in the house :)
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

zelda215 wrote:The high pitched OW! as well as making sure my daughter always has a toy in hand to substitute for her flesh.
Thank you :D I often don't suggest it as it didn't work for me, but it's important to have a balanced view. And well done to your daughter for learning not to shriek and run off :D
DianeLDL

Post by DianeLDL »

Great news to hear that your daughter has been able to handle it with the toy in hand.

I can understand her first reaction to run. It is a natural reaction, remember the "fight or flight".

Fantastic that she seems to be more confident and knows how to handle the situation. Kudos to her. :D

Dane
Sandy, Chihuahua mix b. 12/20/09