Peeing question

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

AnnaNicole

Peeing question

Post by AnnaNicole »

I know there's one in the forum already but mines slightly different.

Pudsy is 9 months old (10 months this month) and we got him from someone else who said he was toilet trained. We knew obviously it would be harder for him in our flat because he's nto sure where to go. BUT, he goes to the door for a second an then if you miss him he just goes an pees on the carpet/floor. In the mornings he whinges an whinges til i let him out, but through the day like i say if u miss the slight inkling that he wants to go to the toilet (he can jus come in look at u an wag his tail an then run off, sometimes he does this an doesnt even need the toilet) then he'll just pee right there an then. He came in last night from an hour walk and had 2 big wees while on the walk and was let out the back straight away form the walk an he just played for 10 mins an wouldn't do anything so i brought him back in an low an behold he starts peeing by my bedroom door an it was a big wee too.

He's too big to start with the paper toilet training again because his wees are just to big an his poos an wees have no got all the germs ect.

He gets let out every hour to 2 hours an still wees on the carpet hes let out for about 5-10 minutes an has 2 walks a day which is 1/2 hour walk an then an hour wakl before bedtime. He gets played with most of the day with his ball ect ro he just sleeps.

He doesn't even drink that much water which is the strange thing lol, where's all this wee coming from an he never cocks his leg it's just the nromal crouching. An it's cleaned up with bleach an he never does it in the same spot.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Take him back to the beginning and retrain him, it will be much easier than trying to correct this.

Take him outside and watch him, when he goes lots and lots of praise.

Take him outside as soon as he wakes up, before and after he eats, after he has been playing and every hour inbetween, 2 hours is too long between going out at his age.

If he does go in the flat, clean it up with either biological washing liquid or get something from a pet shop. We may not be able to smell it but you dog will if you use normal household cleaners.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

We let him out every hour to two hours lol. Not every 2 hours. We're looking into dog trainers at the moment to help because in all of his training its like 5 steps forward an then 20 back again, i know this is expected but i jus feel like i don't know what im doing an im getting frustrated cos he's so stubborn an i jus need to be shown how to do it. Thanks for your advcie :)
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Often it is just a case of being consistant and we have to train ourselves for that so we can train our dogs. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

AnnaNicole wrote:We let him out every hour to two hours lol. Not every 2 hours. We're looking into dog trainers at the moment to help because in all of his training its like 5 steps forward an then 20 back again, i know this is expected but i jus feel like i don't know what im doing an im getting frustrated cos he's so stubborn an i jus need to be shown how to do it. Thanks for your advcie :)
Do you let him out, or do you take him out?

If you're not outside with him, you don't know for sure that he's really pottied.

Take him out, and have a puppy party every time he potties outside. And get a good enzymatic cleaner to clean up the indoor mistakes, so that he isn't inadvertantly getting the signal that inside is a good place to potty.

Lis
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

I take him out and stand with him, I've done that since he's been here. At the moment he ahs ahting for picking things up off the florr (leaves, and mud) an is actually eating them. He won't come back when he's called even indoors so it's a nightmare trying to get him to stop eating the stuff outside.
Today he even went into my mums room an climbe don to her bed an pooed an wee'd on my mums bed. He never let us know he wanted to go out and he'd been out half hour before that for 10 minutes. I just dont know whats goin on.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

All bedroom doors should be kept closed when you have a pup, although my dogs sleep with me, they are not allowed upstairs in the bedrooms during the day, they have to be invited there.

You need to make coming in exciting. Where do you live?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Stop expecting him to let you know when he wants to go out. At the moment he has no idea he is supposed to go out to potty, and some dogs never ask anyway. You mention paper training, so it is likely this dog has never learned that he is supposed to go outside to potty, if he has always been allowed to go inside.

You take the responsibility of taking him out, waiting while he finds the right place and then praising when he performs.

Shut the bedroom doors and then nobody's bed gets weed and pooed on.

He should not have to whinge in the morning. First duty is to take him out. This is a great time to really praise and reward because you KNOW he will perform.
Lis & Addy

Post by Lis & Addy »

He doesn't even drink that much water which is the strange thing lol, where's all this wee coming from an he never cocks his leg it's just the nromal crouching. An it's cleaned up with bleach an he never does it in the same spot.
Bleach? Is there ammonia in the bleach?

Stop using the bleach and get a good enzymatic cleaner. If there's no ammonia, it's just not doing any good; it's not killing the smell for the dog. If there is ammonia, it's actually making things worse. Ammonia is present in urine; using it to clean kills the smell for us but not for dogs or cats, whose noses are much better. If that's what you're using to "clean" his mistakes, you're telling him that that's a good spot to go.

In the US the brand names to look for are Nature's Miracle or Simple Solution; I don't know what the brand names are in the UK, but you need something specifically for cleaning up pet accidents.

Lis
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

Nettle wrote:Stop expecting him to let you know when he wants to go out. At the moment he has no idea he is supposed to go out to potty, and some dogs never ask anyway. You mention paper training, so it is likely this dog has never learned that he is supposed to go outside to potty, if he has always been allowed to go inside.

You take the responsibility of taking him out, waiting while he finds the right place and then praising when he performs.

Shut the bedroom doors and then nobody's bed gets weed and pooed on.

He should not have to whinge in the morning. First duty is to take him out. This is a great time to really praise and reward because you KNOW he will perform.
He pushed my mums bedroom door open. All the bedroom doors are shut so he cant get in, an that time he managed to push it open.
He wakes me up in the morning by whining at different times an i do take him out straight away. I don't literaly wake up an leave him.
When we go out i wait an i do praise him when he's done a wee or a poo.
I was asking for help an ur reply sounded kind of snotty. Not everyone is clued up about trainin so it don't help with having snotty replies.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Anna, unfortunately we can't see each other's body language, all we have is what is written and many things can affect that. Somethings posts seem a bit snotty, hard, attacking etc, when in fact the person who wrote it may be ill, have had a really bad day etc.

sometimes things are put in a way that sounds very different to what was intended, we are all human, we all use words differently and to one person what seems snotty may seem a good post to others.

This is not meant as an attack on you, but just an explanation of what often happens.
renee_chan

Post by renee_chan »

If the problem persists, you might need to have him checked by a vet for a urinary problem. It could be that he just can't hold it and only has a little warning before he has to go. Anyone who's ever had a urinary tract infection knows how horrible this feels!

good luck!
AnnaNicole

Post by AnnaNicole »

Mattie wrote:Anna, unfortunately we can't see each other's body language, all we have is what is written and many things can affect that. Somethings posts seem a bit snotty, hard, attacking etc, when in fact the person who wrote it may be ill, have had a really bad day etc.

sometimes things are put in a way that sounds very different to what was intended, we are all human, we all use words differently and to one person what seems snotty may seem a good post to others.

This is not meant as an attack on you, but just an explanation of what often happens.
I know what your saying Mattie, but as i see it if you can't post something thats helps then dont post at all, there was no good advice posted on that post. If the person has had a bad day then they shouldn't take it out on the people who are asking for advice, but leave it til later on til they have cooled down an then answer it.

Renee thanks for that advice hun, i shall keep it in mind an see how he goes Thanks :).
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

If that was addressed to me, I gave a shedload of good advice in that post and had no intention of being snotty.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

AnnaNicole wrote: I know what your saying Mattie, but as i see it if you can't post something thats helps then dont post at all, there was no good advice posted on that post. If the person has had a bad day then they shouldn't take it out on the people who are asking for advice, but leave it til later on til they have cooled down an then answer it.
Nettle wrote a good post Anna, I think you are being over sensitive, she wasn't taking anything out on you. Everyone on here gives their advice free and it takes a lot of time to reply to many posts. With some it is the way them make a living but still give advice free here. Nettle wasn't nasty to you, but you have been very nasty to her.