Constant pacing and wont toilet on lead

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BCMumto3

Constant pacing and wont toilet on lead

Post by BCMumto3 »

My new 14 month old rescue dog , Kai (romanian rescue so he has lived wild all his life) constantly paces up and down the garden path when he is let out, he also makes whiny noises though not all the time. He has to stay on the lead , even in the garden , because he would run off otherwise ... and this is part of another problem I have too

The pacing reminds me of the polar bears I used to see in the zoo , constantly walking up and down ... this is what Kai does , but its fast pacing , almost frantic and today he started doing it in the house too

Housetraining is another problem ... he hates (or it seems to me) toileting when on lead , but I darent let him offlead or he'd be gone
So I can spend an hour just standing in the garden waiting for a dog I know needs to poo (cos he started circling in the house) watching him frantically pace and whine before he will go

Today I was out there for an hour and a half with him before he went and after incase he hadnt got it all out , if you know what I mean ... brought him in and straight away he pee'd all over the dogs sofa .... obviously I didnt yell or anything but my frustration level is high (lack of sleep) so ive put him and Teddy in the crate for half an hour while I have a coffee and ciggie in peace

My main concern though is the pacing
He does play and seems happy enough most of the time , he certainly loves getting a hug , but now he is pacing indoors as well its worrying me

This is my new baby playing in the garden yesterday
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c01TswE3 ... DDPiSStohA
doggiedad

Re: Constant pacing and wont toilet on lead

Post by doggiedad »

why don't you walk your dog and see if that helps with going to the bathroom.
the pacing, find a trainer/behaviourist.
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

he is fine on a walk but he doesnt toilet , again maybe because he is onlead ... and I cant afford a behaviourist
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

From his point of view, life has become very restrictive and totally scary. Up to now he has always done whatever he wanted and gone wherever he wanted. You will need to work on him the way you would with a wild animal. It's not surprising he is pacing and whining and not comfortable to empty out on a lead with a human at the other end.

Was he in quarantine? If so, how was he kept? How long was he in kennels before you took him on?

I think he is far and away too big a task for someone in your circumstances. Note I am not saying you couldn't do it - but realistically you could do with a big cash injection, no other dogs and nothing else in your life to take priority. You have the ability but not the money or time. Because I think the way to start would be his own compound and sleeping area outside, and it will take years to rehab this chap, if it can be done at all.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

Nettle wrote:From his point of view, life has become very restrictive and totally scary. Up to now he has always done whatever he wanted and gone wherever he wanted. You will need to work on him the way you would with a wild animal. It's not surprising he is pacing and whining and not comfortable to empty out on a lead with a human at the other end.

Was he in quarantine? If so, how was he kept? How long was he in kennels before you took him on?

I think he is far and away too big a task for someone in your circumstances. Note I am not saying you couldn't do it - but realistically you could do with a big cash injection, no other dogs and nothing else in your life to take priority. You have the ability but not the money or time. Because I think the way to start would be his own compound and sleeping area outside, and it will take years to rehab this chap, if it can be done at all.
I dont know if he was in quarantine etc , all I know is he came to the UK a couple of weeks ago and was put up for adoption and ive had him now for two days , I do have his pet passport

Maybe you're right and I am the wrong person for this dog , but he is here now and im going to do the best I can for him , all he needs is love , training , time and patience , and thats something I have in abundance
He is super affectionate , loves his cuddles and is very playful at times with my other three (its a shame only one of my dogs wants to play with him but its a big adjustment for them too)
If he is still stressed and my vet also thinks im the wrong person and that this is the wrong environment for him in a few months time then i'll talk to the rescue I adopted him from and see what we can come up with
But its far too early yet to throw in the towel on this little boy
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I think I'd do something I would generally be 100% against... for now, I would be chaining him in your back garden so you can hide out of sight (but can look through a window!) so he can potty.

Obviously don't leave him out there chained up without supervision, even secret supervision but for now, he needs to be able to relieve himself comfortably and the ability to do this should reduce his stress levels somewhat. See if you can affix a lightweight chain (and thats because I don't want you getting distracted and him chewing through it, as he probably would with a washing line or long line) so that the end of it will reach all the way into your kitchen so you don't have to go out there to clip the chain on and he is free to toilet then come back inside.

Beyond that, the next thing I'd do is figure out a way of making the back garden secure - really secure, overhang fences, mesh skirts so he can't dig under either. What a lot of the rescues bringing these street dogs in just don't mention is not only are these guys generally extreme escape artists, but that once loose, they will NOT come back because they are perfectly adept at fending for themselves. Nettle is right, you have a wild animal, not a pet dog and it is going to be a very long time before he decides he is a pet dog - if ever (some do, some don't).

Using a chain and then, hopefully a secure back yard will mean you then have the space you need so this guy can learn to CHOOSE to be with you, to come to you instead of run from you when he is stressed - right now he chooses to come to you when things are ok but the second he is stressed, he won't and you don't currently have the ability to give him the choice, you can only force the issue by using a leash because you obviously need to keep him safe.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
BCMumto3

Post by BCMumto3 »

I only have a front garden ... the back yard is Steves and full of junk and a whole section of fence is missing so the dogs NEVER go out there.

Im totally against chaining a dog anywhere , thanks for the advice though as I know it was meant for the good and not in a negative way :)
I'll just persevere with him , gentleness and kindness will definately work with this dog :)

I think Kai is just stressed by everything thats happened to him these last two weeks , ive spoken to the rescue and apparently he stress paced with them for a few days but then settled down , they said he is a very friendly , highly adaptable dog and I cant say I disagree with that as in every other aspect he is perfect :D

Ive ordered some rescue remedy so hopefully that will help him too