feet biting

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

missynala777

feet biting

Post by missynala777 »

I have a 8 week old english bulldog. We try all the sounds (ouch, eek) loud pitched to get her to stop but I want other suggestions. She can mouth on us and it doesn't hurt but when it comes to the feet, she is out of control!!! Thanks!
daneluver

Post by daneluver »

I don't know how much this will help,
but you may try turning your back on the dog, crossing your arms and if you'd like, walking away.

Besides using your voice as sound diversion, you could try using a bicycle horn - or something else that startles the dog without hurting it's ears - and using it when the dog barks.

I don't think I was much of a help, but, I tried!

Good luck!
Ry

Post by Ry »

8 weeks huh? No wonder, ha ha, that dog must be so hyper. Well, you could try the method above, but I'm sure it's nothing more than the dog playing. Probably an obvious question, but how often and how long is the dog walked?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

daneluver wrote:I don't know how much this will help,
but you may try turning your back on the dog, crossing your arms and if you'd like, walking away.
This does work but not overnight, it takes time for a pup to understand that when he bites your feet the fun stops. If necessary walk out of the room or put him out.

Giving a yelp as well will help, it is what his brothers and sisters would do if they were playing and he hurt them.
Besides using your voice as sound diversion, you could try using a bicycle horn - or something else that startles the dog without hurting it's ears - and using it when the dog barks.
Never use anything like a bicycle horn, it is far too loud and can make your put noise sensitive. I have a noise sensitive dog and it is difficult to live with, the slightest unusual noise he is terrified of and screams.
I don't think I was much of a help, but, I tried!

Good luck!
Your advice on stopping the play was very good and very helpful. :D
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
daneluver

Post by daneluver »

Your advice on stopping the play was very good and very helpful. :D
Thanks for that.

I'd also like to apologize for all the bad advice I had given - I'm never on the computer as late as I was lastnight and when I am, I get tired and am pretty much Brain Dead.

Thank for letting her know about all of that stuff considering my mistakes. I don't want her to think the wrong thing just because I was tired :)

If you read my signiture then you will know :)

~ Hannah
This is a REAL Tip ;)
If I give advice at night I'm probably tired and brain-dead at the moment, so unless someone give the same advice as me - and are experienced and like positive methods,

DON'T LISTEN TO ME!! :)

[email protected]
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

How do you think we learnt, by making mistakes and being corrected either by other people or our dogs. :lol:

Sometimes it helps when this happens, it can be explained why instead of saying don't do it. It is much easier if someone understands why they shouldn't do it and if you are like me, unless I know the reason, I will go and find out for myself. :roll:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
missynala777

Post by missynala777 »

:) thanks everyone. I know she is young and playful. I think if I just start walking away from her she will get the point! she is doing very good with going bathroom outside so i can't complain
Esprit64

Attention problem

Post by Esprit64 »

One thing I've learned with my dog is that she responds more quickly to certain high notes of my voice. I've learned which decible to use and when I use it, she snaps right to attention. I then reward the response. I should add that by trial and error, I found a noise that gets her attention and which doesn't elicit excitement or gets me ignored. In other words, I get the response I need.