Overexcitement

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

jezg

Overexcitement

Post by jezg »

One of my dogs, a female Miniature Schnauzer, is a VERY happy dog, that is for sure. Whenever someone comes home and walks through the door, she starts screeching at an incredibly high pitch, we've started comparing her to the sound of a dolphin. She even does it when you come down the stairs, it's as if shes never seen us before.

We used to think it was adorable when she was a little younger, but now it just causes a headache. Trying to get her to be quiet by saying "Be quiet" or "No" or the like, doesn't work either.

It would be great if someone had any tips or advice for this, I'm tired of having to carry around asprin!

Thanks!

-Katherine
daneluver

Post by daneluver »

Well, I am going to give you some advice but I am confused...
I don't understand whether you are trying to teach your dog to be quiet or if you ar just saying "Be Quiet" or "Quiet".

If you are just saying the command when you haven't taught the dog what it means yet, then you can do one of these two.
  • #1. Get your dog to speak.
    Example: "Speak, Speak, Speak" while you are moving your hand as if it was a mouth opening and closing.

That usually works.

Then you put your arms out in front of you, bring them out in a sweeping motion to your sides (as to say "Stop", etc) and then say "Quiet" and reward with chicken or maybe a normal dog treat.
  • #2. Let your dog bark. RIGHT when it quiets down, do this...
    Put your arms out in front of you, bring them out in a sweeping motion to your sides (as to say "Stop", etc) and then say "Quiet" and reward with chicken or maybe a normal dog treat.
I just wanted to say "Good luck!" and I hope I explained this well enough.