Mistreated Nervous Dog Kabul

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

blue222

Re: Mistreated Nervous Dog Kabul

Post by blue222 »

Well done on rescuing this poor dog - she looks lovely and I'm sure your patience will pay dividends in years to come.

It's very early days and who knows what she's been through. If I were you, I'd give her lots of space, she will in time learn that you aren't any threat and her trust in you will build. Let her come to you, rather than the other way around. When I get a new rescue dog, I generally 'ignore them' for the first few days (of course making sure they have access to food and water) and allowing them to find their own level in their own time. One to one attention - particulary eye contact and fussing - can be extremely intimidating to a submissive dog. Remember, she is in a strange place with a strange person and has no idea what to expect.

Don't force her to do anything or drag her outside/anywhere. She won't be used to lead walking so that will have to be taught little by little. You might leave a lead on her, so she can drag it loosely behind her in the house, so she gradually gets used to it. If you want her to go outside, you could tempt her by offering food tidbits, e.g. on the floor, leaving a trail leading to outside. Once she does her toileting outside, praise and reward, then if necessary drop another trail leading indoors again. She will soon get into the habit.

There's a high chance that she will always have lived outdoors, so everything will be new and scary for her. Radio, TV, telephone noises, vacuum cleaner, everything so give her plenty of time to get used to all these things.

As for onlead walks, I would leave this for the time being until she has well and truly settled in, perhaps a couple of weeks. Then only a couple of minutes at a time, building up gradually.
neilwill1979

Post by neilwill1979 »

Update on Dusty.

For those who were interested in Dusty.

She is now in the UK loving life with my family.

Sanna

Post by Sanna »

That's just made my day :D Thanks for sharing!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

thank you for the update. this is great news to start the day with. I am so glad you both made it out of there safe and that she is home with you where she belongs.
Sweetie's Human

Post by Sweetie's Human »

What a lovely update! So nice that you got her back to the UK with you :D
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Thankyou so much for updating us, I was just thinking about you guys the other day!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Bless her, she looks like such a sweet girl..lovely to hear she's back in the UK with you :D