Eye drops

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Ocelot0411

Eye drops

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Morning all, your help please! Ellie has a gunky eye and as such I have been given some eye drops by the vet. Getting them in her eye however is a different matter.

I can't say I blame her as I hate anyone going near my eyes but if I don't get the eye drops in how am I going to get her eye better?

I have tried pretty much everything from bribery (with chese) till waiting till she is snoozing on my lap to just trying to get it over with quickly, all to no avail. So does anyone have any handy tips here?
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Mmmm. You've tried all the usual, it may have to be a rugby tackle job... sorry I know that sounds unpleasent - maybe the others have more/better tips. I can't go anywhere near Kato's eyes - he's had ops for entropian, I just have to watch for signs of deterioation from a distance.
Sorry Fi.
danabanana

Post by danabanana »

oooh good question! I have to wait until I have a sleepy beagle before I can clean her ears, have never had to go near her eyes before!

Good luck!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I hate eye drops too.

From time to time mine get gunky eyes, and my vet says wipe them with a used tea bag - it has had boiling water on it so is sterile, and there is something healing in tea. IME dogs don't object to eyes being wiped - after all it's rather like them being licked, which dogs sometimes do for each other.

Cool salt water is another good eye-wipe. My vet also says Optrex is just as good as most veterinary eye stuff BUT if an infection has been diagnosed and you have been prescribed cream, then that has to be applied per instructions.
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Thanks Nettle, I will give those a go. Its not an infection but just slightly more goo than the average sleepy eye, so I will lay off the eye drops and try to just wipe her eyes for a while. Perhaps this will make her less sensitive to me touching her eye area and will eventually mean that she would let me do the eye drops if needed.
katowaggytail

Post by katowaggytail »

Didn't think - we use teabags as well, Kato seems to enjoy it!! Mad dog! :roll: