Help on vicious dog/nail clipping

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

flyersblue

Help on vicious dog/nail clipping

Post by flyersblue »

I am new to the sight. I have a question that I am not sure that anyone has seen. I have taken in my brothers dog to live with us. He was only hours away from taking her to the SPCA. He was moving and had NO WHERE for her to go. We decided that we had the room and we couldnt see her going to the SPCA. He was and is very thankful. She is a 4 year old full rotty. She is about 90lbs and has hip displayisa (sp?). We have two of our own dogs and two children. Everyone gets along just fine. My brother really didnt do much training. Some of the basics. She was over weight. We have had her for about 10 months and she has lost weight and is on new meds for her hips. She is doing great. When she arrived she wouldnt let me do much to her....now I can do just about everything. She wouldnt let me touch her feet and now I can play with her toes. But when it comes to clipping the nails...forget it. She turns VICIOUS! We have had to take her to the vets to get knocked out to have them clipped. She is so bad that the vet isnt sure they want her to have them clipped there anymore. The were afraid of her. She is good with everything this else, but that. I can take things from her mouth, food, toys....She is GREAT with the kids. My 5 year old thinks she belongs to her. Anything that anyone can suggest....go for it. Thanks in advance! :wink:
cbabygurl

Post by cbabygurl »

My dog is the same way and I have to lay down with him, hold him head (so he can't see) while my boyfriend cuts his nails.
Also you could try filing them.
I would file my nails first (while my dog watches), then I would do the same to him. It's sound silly but it works.
GOOD LUCK!!
I hope this helps.
*CASSADY*
cbabygurl

Post by cbabygurl »

sorry hold *his head
*CASSADY*
flyersblue

Post by flyersblue »

After seeing what she was doing at the vets....there is NO way that I would hold her head. We even tried to muzzle her....she went nuts. I have been able to change alot of things, but this is a doozie... : )
cbabygurl

Post by cbabygurl »

If she likes to run, you could take her running on some concrete and that would automatically file them down, somewhat..
That's what my dad does with his blue heelers.
*CASSADY*
flyersblue

Post by flyersblue »

I wish I could do something like that...but she has severe hip displaysia and that would not be something she could do...it would damage her hips even more.
cbabygurl

Post by cbabygurl »

I'm sorry I forgot that part during our conversation.
Hopefully someone else on here will have some advise for you..
*CASSADY*
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

She may accept her nails being kept short with a dremel, many dogs do. There is instructions on the internet somewhere that tells you have to do it, but I have to take Merlin to hydrotherapy in a few minutes. Hopefully someone will have the link.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
griffin

Post by griffin »

With all you have to do at the house, I am sure this will be difficult. However, while running is out, try walking her on concrete (sidewalks) and pavement twice a day for @ a half a mile each time. This WILL help keep the nails dull and eventually start to keep them from getting too long. Thus, the need to get them trimmed as often will not be there.

First, when you brush the dog, make sure you brush the legs and work your way down to the feet/nails. Doing this often will show her and allow her to become comfortable with you working with her feet.

My dog is also very "bad" when getting his nails clipped. I have to take him to a groomer, have him put on the table, harnessed and muzzled, only then will he let his nails be clipped. He is not as big as your girl (80 lbs-Sheppard/Lab mix) but just as frightened when it comes to nails.

There are a few porducts out there like the dremmel http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-761-03-Cor ... B0000C6DZ2 or this product (I have no idea if it really works) http://www.petco.com/product/102745/Mir ... -Dogs.aspx ...

There is one more that claims to work well, dremel design but with a shield for nails (I forget the name right now) but I have read reviews on it that are not favorable as to its durability or customer service.

Best of luck to you...
Winterwish

nail trimming

Post by Winterwish »

Hi! I dremeled my one greyhounds nails for several years and I'd recommend it for any dog really.

Big part of use of the dremel is introducing it.

This is what I did:

Turn it on for a minute or so nearby him,but not to use yet,just to get him used to the sound for a week or so each day. (it's a bit louder then an electric toothbrush)

Begin with only one paw. Or even just one or two nails,spending no more then 4 seconds per nail.
This is because the simpler you keep the process,the more tolerant your dog will become to having it done.
And of course,positive reinforcement all the way!

There is a website,DoberDawn .com. It shows pictures of the angle,and if you scroll down,a basic drawing of what the nail looks like with regard to the quik. It's a good overall depiction of dremeling,and I recommend carefully looking at it.
*However*,in my opinion,the doberman's nails are too short.
I had not seen that website before I started dremeling the nails,so did not dremel his nails in the exact direction she does with her dobey,and never noticed any problem in doing it a bit differently.

The goal in the beginning,if you choose to dremel,is to get him accustomed to it,and please do not begin dremeling off a lot of the nail.
It is not scarey! But you do need to be safe in using it of course.

Just because it's a dremel,and not a clipper does not mean you cannot cut the quik! The quik can be met if you do too much,and you don't want that.

Try to remember,just 4 seconds per nail.
Keep it simple,careful,and 4 seconds,and bit by bit the nails will be shortened.

The other safety tip is too tie back your hair so it won't get caught in it,as well as being careful not to get a loose shirt caught in it.
By the way,it'll stop spinning if that happens,but still,it's important to be safe as possible.

Well that's all I can think of saying on dremeling. One thing I know is I'll never clip nails again,only dremel!