Courtesy posting - Pyr won't stop barking outside at night.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Wes

Courtesy posting - Pyr won't stop barking outside at night.

Post by Wes »

I have a friend of mine who has presented me with this issue. Casper is a Great Pyrenees, 2 years old, neutered, rescued. I'm in the process of gathering more info, have said no to the shock collar and suggested they keep him on a line to reel him in at night. Here is the problem, from his owner:

"He loves to stay out all night - which is fine - but he barks all night and is going to get us in big trouble with the neighbors - he also refuses to come when he is called - if he does not want to come in. Do we need to get a shock collar for him? Getting desperate...nothing is working. Help Help!"

At this point I said no shock collars, suggested the line, and keep him inside at night. He sounds bored and is not a living lawn gnome. (I love being able to be blunt with her, she's great!). Reply:

"We have tried keeping him in at night - he refuses - he does not like the line - he chews through it or pulls his collar off - very smart and strong"

Asking for clarification on what she means by refuses and how often/long he is walked, what type of food, etc. Any other suggestions or is the consensus boredom?
Wes

Re: Courtesy posting - Pyr won't stop barking outside at night.

Post by Wes »

Update to this:

"he stays out all day - when he is inside when we are not home he destroys the house - went through a window twice - if we leave him outside, he stays on the porch all day or walks the property (we have 5 acres surrounded by 150 acres of conservation land). He hate loud noises, so he stays away from the road. He does not wander away. Refuses to stay in? Barks, nudges us in bed - general nuisance till we let him out - then he stays on the porch. We feed him Tractor Supply 4 health which is made by Blue - 2 cups dry food morning and night - mixed with 1/2 can wet food."

So it sounds to me like boredom mixed with a healthy dose of separation anxiety. Thoughts, advice? I'd like to help her, and I do hope she'll listen.
gwd

Post by gwd »

i think part of the problem is him taking his job of being a pyr seriously. it sounds like he's perfectly happy to lounge on the porch during the day and not be near people, at night, he feels like he NEEDS to walk guard duty. they've not given him any other job so he's channeled his ancestors and is standing guard over his flock. that's what pyrs do. i''ve known people with working pyrs that are not bonded to people. their bond is to their flock and they're unhappy if you try and keep them away from their job.

now, they could certainly give him another job to do and work him physically and mentally, but i doubt he's going to be happy in the house at night if his day has been loafing on the porch with no real 'job'. and i totally agree with you, sounds like the dog doesn't have much stimulating going on, at least nothing with humans.

is this gal willing to put in the work?
Last edited by gwd on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Yup, very bored, understimulated, and in desperate need of a job to do. the barking all night could very well be an anxiety thing too, trying to scare off every wee little beastie causing rustling sounds.

I think he's going to have to come in at night for the sake of the neighbours and also so he learns to relax and sleep and not worry about all the monsters that need to be barked at. So I'd advise them to dedicate a week or so when they haven't got much on to almost constant walking (new places), training, playing, mind games through the day so he's completely tuckered at night, and keep him in - being prepared for several sleepless nights as he will try harder and HARDER and HARDER to tell them to let him out.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
Wes

Post by Wes »

I think SHE is willing to do the work, but I highly, HIGHLY, doubt her husband is. She says she's going to try to bring him in at night and give him a bully stick and elk antler to chew on. The question is, will she give in to his whinging? It's really a shame that this dog is a glorified garden gnome - he's such a smart boy and would do really well if they bothered to train him.