dog aggression (out of character)

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

andymill

Re: dog aggression (out of character)

Post by andymill »

Thanks.

Had a minor incident today.

Took him out this morning and we met a collie that we have met many times. He is always friendly towards her and me and the owner always have a chat. They sniffed and trotted around together and all was fine. He brought his ball to me and I threw it (I know that was probably a mistake!) the collie ran after too although Merlin (my dog) got there first. He then turned to go after the collie. I could tell by his fur being on end that he was not playing and the collie looked scared. Luckily this time I grabbed hold of him and stopped it before it started. I then walked back to the collie with him on the lead. He again sniffed and wagged his tail like nothing had happened.

I do think this must be a testosterone issue as its like a switch flicks and he acts like a different dog. Really hoping this will pass as I don't want this behaviour to stick. Have got to know lots of people on our walks and they all know my boy as being a big, soft, friendly dog. Don't want that to change.

Seems to be getting a bit head strong with commands too. His recall was always great but I'm not struggling to get him to come when called lately. I'm willing to put in as much work as needed. Love him to bits and just want him back to his old self.
ScarletSci

Post by ScarletSci »

The toy possessiveness is understandable in even the most placid dog. My Springer/Cocker cross is a dream for the most part and very mellow, but adores his ball, and will snarl at another dog if he thinks they might try to take it! No ball, no problem. So at least you know what happened there and to avoid the ball-throwing while there's another dog right there.

The rest sounds like adolescent boundary testing to me, you just have to carry on as you are and ride it out! Good luck :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

I wouldn't put it down to testosterone as such - my dog was neutered at 10 months and is showing the same sort of adolescent behaviour. But very much, as Jacksdad says, "I just discovered I am big, and strong and almost grown up and full of my self, what you going to do about it act."

A lot of dogs who end up in rescues do so at this age/stage, which is a tragedy, because with calm, persistent training and a lot of management, they will come out the other side in the end - just like unbearable adolescent humans turn into (mostly) delightful adults eventually.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
andymill

Post by andymill »

JudyN wrote:with calm, persistent training and a lot of management, they will come out the other side in the end - just like unbearable adolescent humans turn into (mostly) delightful adults eventually.
Hope so. On the whole hes a really lovely dog. Had no problems with him up until now.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

andymill wrote:On the whole hes a really lovely dog. Had no problems with him up until now.
Of course he is. and Judy's human analogy of wonderful trouble free child turning into a teenage "monster" turning into a delightful adult is a really good "image" to keep in mind.

your dog is going through a stage in life. management is the key. If you learn that playing ball with him and another dog around is a bad idea, don't do it. only play ball when it is him and you. if you know that prolonged dog/dog interactions take a turn for the worst...keep it to short hellos, 3 to 5 seconds, move on. if you know even that is too much a risk...avoid other dogs for a little while.

He is going to be pushing boundaries, but you are smarter and you can out think him. If he is testing does sit mean sit for example, take things back a step, don't ask for sit unless you KNOW he will (ie he is solid in the house, but slipping into maybe/maybe not outside). But you can also take things back to square one and really reinforce that sit outside is a good thing. start as if you are teaching it for the first time if you have to, start low distraction, build it back up.

just do your best to be patient, think ahead, manage things and remember this will pass.