[Updated] Puppy does not accept being on her back, bad sign?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

graybones

[Updated] Puppy does not accept being on her back, bad sign?

Post by graybones »

Hello :) I hope I posted this in the right place.

I am very excited to be bringing home a border collie puppy 3 weeks from now. This weekend the breeder invited me to come play with the litter (5 pups) who are 4 weeks old. All 5 looked very healthy and happy.

The puppy we liked wagged her tail when we sat down and after a minute she came and snuggled in my lap and took a nap. She was relaxed and seemed not to mind us petting her, picking her up, handling her paws etc.

However when I cradled her on her back she did not like it. She struggled to roll back over and whined. She didn't settle down. Her littermates didn't mind the cradling at all. Everything I read about choosing a puppy said to do this test to STAY AWAY from puppies that fail it. But, can you really evaluate a puppy at only 4 weeks? Am I reading too much into this?

We are going back next weekend to visit again and then taking her home in 3 weeks, what should I look for/expect on my next visit?
Last edited by graybones on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nettle

Re: Baby puppy does not accept being on her back, bad sign?

Post by Nettle »

Not a bad sign at all, not a sign of anything beyond she doesn't like being on her back. So take her if she is the one you like best, :) and make sure you don't let anyone put her on her back. There's never any need to do that sort of thing. Some outdated 'science' once suggested all sorts of 'temperament tests' for puppies, but the exercises they came up with are not good things to do with puppies. What can seem a great idea in a laboratory sometimes doesn't translate to the real world.

All the best with your puppy and we'd like to see lots of photos when she comes home!
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
gwd

Post by gwd »

puppy temperament tests are nothing more than a snapshot of a specific moment in time for a puppy. they're really not predictive of what the adult dog will be.

some puppies are just super mellow and don't mind being flipped on their backs.........others don't like it so much. what is MUCH more important is if you have confidence in your breeder that they've spent exhaustive hours exposing their puppies to different stimuli and handling.

do you know anything about the temperament of the litters sire and dam? if your comfortable with that and with the breeder, then don't worry about the baby objecting to restraint.

also, as i said, its a snapshot of a moment in time. i can tell you from experience, you need to observe trends in puppies, not single moments

best of luck with your new baby!
graybones

Post by graybones »

I am relieved to hear the test isn't accurate! I did get to meet both the sire and the dam and they are truly wonderful dogs, affectionate and friendly and eager to please. The dam especially is a one-in-a-million dog, certainly the smartest and best-behaved dog I've met, and beautiful as well.
gwd

Post by gwd »

graybones wrote:I am relieved to hear the test isn't accurate! I did get to meet both the sire and the dam and they are truly wonderful dogs, affectionate and friendly and eager to please. The dam especially is a one-in-a-million dog, certainly the smartest and best-behaved dog I've met, and beautiful as well.
well then, i expect some pictures in a few weeks time! :D
graybones

Post by graybones »

Hi everyone, wanted to post an update.

Following the advice given here and our own hearts, we did take the puppy who didn't like being on her back. We brought her home on Saturday and named her Bonnie. As you can see in the second photo, her aversion to being on her back seems to have disappeared and she now loves to roll over to get belly scratches. She seems very happy, loving, and smart and I really think we couldn't have picked a better pup! Thanks for your advice.

ScarletSci

Re: [Updated] Puppy does not accept being on her back, bad sign?

Post by ScarletSci »

She's also beautiful!

That second photo made me aawww so much that my face hurts.

Congrats on the new addition to your family! :D
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Awwwwww, congratulations! :D
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
OnceInAWeil

Post by OnceInAWeil »

She's adorable! Bonnie is a great name! It was my mom's so I might be a little biased. :)
gwd

Post by gwd »

she's tooth achingly sweet. that face is just adorable!
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Oh, that second picture!!! How sweet. (snuggles adult dog, convincing self to never think of puppies again...) :lol:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

What a little cutie :D
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Such a sweet little face - adorable!! Congrats!! :D
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

graybones wrote:..... her aversion to being on her back seems to have disappeared and she now loves to roll over to get belly scratches.
keep in mind, rolling over on to one's back is a vulnerable position and there is a HUGE difference in having a stranger put you on your back (no matter how gentle) and rolling over for belly scratches from someone you have learned is safe, gotten comfortable with etc.

good looking pup, you are in for some fun times :D