Dog Agression

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Nikward

Dog Agression

Post by Nikward »

Hello
I am sure this has been posted before but I am new here so would welcome advice. 6 months ago we adopted a 3 yr old Boston Terrier French bulldog mix. Great at home, great with the kids. I have been training him and off lead he will come when called, sits and walks next to me when we come across cyclists. But as soon as there is another dog near he crouches on the ground and will attack the other dogs, apart from a neighbours Jack Russel for some reason. I am trying now with a handful of treats to walk backwards infront of him for him to focus on this rather than the dog. It is a bit hit and miss and wonder if anyone had other tips. My goal isnt for him to get on with every dog but at least fir him to walk in the woods and parks without having to worry about him attacking and apologising to other dog owners.

Many thanks
Nikki
Ari_RR

Re: Dog Agression

Post by Ari_RR »

I'd maintain a larger distance between him and other dogs. I think you are letting him get too close, he becomes uncomfortable and reacts the way he reacts.
I'd stay further away from other dogs, where he can just watch another dog walk by - rewards, rewards, treats and everything when that happens.
I'd stay at that safe distance for a while, then start reducing it, slowly, to make sure he doesn't cross his threshold, and eventually he will be able to tolerate other dogs in close proximity.

If you are patient and do this carefully - this will happen fairly quick, I think. This means that you are constantly scanning surrounding when out with him, to make sure that you spot other dogs before he does, so you can keep the distance.

But if you rush things and put him above threshold, where he again does what he does - it will be a set back. Sometimes you can't avoid other dogs getting too close no matter how careful you are. When that happens - just take it in stride, not the end of the world, so it will take you a bit longer to desensitize him to dogs, but owning a dog is a life-long training session anyway :wink:
andymill

Post by andymill »

Was wondering if anyone could advise?

I have an 18 month old german shepherd/lab cross. He is usually a lovely gentle nature, great with people, kids, and other dogs. This morning after taking him for a walk I was getting out of the car. He saw another dog and ran towards it. I called him and went after him but wasn't overly worried because of his nature. But out of the blue he attacked. I got hold of him and dragged him off.

Not sure if its connected but he has just started trying to mount other dogs in the past week and showing sexual interest. I have booked him in to be neutered as was planning to do this anyway and hoping it will prevent this happening again.

Just shocked me as it’s so out of character. The attack happened outside our house so not sure if he thought the dog had been on our land.
Erica

Post by Erica »

Hi Andymill. You should probably start your own thread for your dog, as it sounds like you need advice specific to your situation. In your post, include his history (as much of it as you know, including training history/how he was trained and general stuff - any changes in his life up until this point), his daily schedule (the more detail the better - and this applies to all of it!), and if he has any medical issues. You may want to postpone the neutering for now. If your vets try to pressure you into it, remember that they aren't trained in behavior. If the attack was fear based, neutering can make it worse, and it's not something you can undo! Instead, get a full check-up - bloodwork, thyroid check, prostate check, etc for anything that might be causing him pain or changing his behavior. Medical issues can't be solved by training!
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
andymill

Post by andymill »

thanks erica. stared my own thread...

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=16398
Nikward

Post by Nikward »

Ari

Just wanted to say many thanks for the advice. We have just had a wonderful walk and found his weakness is grilled sausage so will take your advice abd see how it goes. Tomorrow Django starts dog classes after being assessed by the trainer who has also told me it is anxiety based not agression. I will give an update as time goes on.

Thanks again

Nikki
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Excellent! Yes, keep us posted, share the stories, or any concerns.

One thing about the class - it will most likely be great fun.

But watch him carefully, though.. You know him better than anyone, better than the instructor, so if you feel that it's too much for him, too many dogs, too close - trust your instincts, and don't hesitate for a second to simply walk out.

Good luck, let us know how it goes!
gwd

Post by gwd »

Nikward wrote:Ari

Just wanted to say many thanks for the advice. We have just had a wonderful walk and found his weakness is grilled sausage so will take your advice abd see how it goes. Tomorrow Django starts dog classes after being assessed by the trainer who has also told me it is anxiety based not agression. I will give an update as time goes on.

Thanks again

Nikki
i love that you set achievable, reasonable goals........you're not wanting to turn him into the social butterfly for a daily trip to the dog park. instead, you're just wanting to be able to get to the point where he can pass another dog at some point. it may take awhile before he is comfortable being walked past other dogs, and ari's dad has given you great advice on how to meet your goal without stressing and pushing him too fast.......but i applaud you for having reasonable expectations on what you'll think of as success! good for you.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Nikward wrote: Tomorrow Django starts dog classes after being assessed by the trainer who has also told me it is anxiety based not agression.
most of the time that is the case.