Crating when visitors come over?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

OnceInAWeil

Crating when visitors come over?

Post by OnceInAWeil »

I usually crate Antonio when people first come over, then let him out after he's had a chance to register their presence for a few minutes. However, someone recently told me that doing this makes dogs more anxious about visitors (because they're trapped in one spot, I'm guessing), and that having him on a leash would be better. Just wanted to get your opinions.
gwd

Re: Crating when visitors come over?

Post by gwd »

OnceInAWeil wrote:I usually crate Antonio when people first come over, then let him out after he's had a chance to register their presence for a few minutes. However, someone recently told me that doing this makes dogs more anxious about visitors (because they're trapped in one spot, I'm guessing), and that having him on a leash would be better. Just wanted to get your opinions.
i think the answer to that would depend how the dog feels about their crate. your SOP is exactly what i do with my boy. going in the crate for a couple of minutes lets him realize that we've got visitors, assess that we've welcomed the visitor, give me time to give instructions (ignore him, let him sniff) and lowers his excitement level to the point where he's receptive to treats.

for me, a baby gate didn't lower the excitement level enough unless it was a person he'd met at least once or twice before.

now, for my guy, the crate is a safe zone. he'll seek it out when baby girl is being a pestery little wench. some dogs get quite guardy in their crate and you'll get a version of the gate/fence aggression if another dog comes up near their crate. .......my guy seems to think his crate creates a cloak of invisibility. other dogs can even sniff his butt through the wire and he doesn't even bother to stand up.......which is NOT how he'd handle another dog sniffing him if he were on leash or loose. i'm rather confident that he in no way feels trapped or frustrated .........but that's my dog. i think you just need to assess if it's working for you and how tony feels. if it's working, great.........perhaps you might want to move to the leash as the next step towards a 'sit, wait' or a 'go to your mat' when you answer the door........if that's what you're aiming for.
Swanny1790

Post by Swanny1790 »

I think it would vary widely between individual dogs. It can't hurt to experiment. Try him sometimes crated and sometimes on the leash, and see which results in the behavior you most prefer. Think of it as allowing him to decide for himself which is better.

At my house, the dogs reactions to visitors varies considerably, depending upon whether or not they know (and like or dislike) the visitor and I'm willing to let each of them come to terms with the changed situation (it is a change in the dog's environment) each in his or her own way.
"Once infected with the mushing virus, there is no cure. There is only trail." - Sven Engholm
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

gwd wrote:i think the answer to that would depend how the dog feels about their crate. ......
I would also think it would depend on where the crate is and if people are allowed to go up to him while he is in the crate.

I don't see how being "trapped" on leash or being "trapped" in a crate are all that different if you just throw around the concept of "feeling trapped" with out taking into account the dog's personality, how they feel about their crate, where the crate is, are people allowed to approach while in crate, etc, etc, etc......

Devil is in the details so to speak
bendog

Post by bendog »

There's a people fearful GSD I know who will run to his crate of his own accord when visitors come round. This wasn't a trained behaviour, but he obviously feels his crate is a safe space, and its also usually in a different room from the visitor. So I guess if Tony feels safe and secure in his crate then that's fine.

My lot aren't crate trained (nowhere to put crates!) and as a result would go mental if "trapped" in a crate when people come round. I leave them loose, or shut them in a different room.
labradorfriend

Post by labradorfriend »

i had a dog that I need to crate because he keeps running around whenever I have a visitor. Later on, I noticed he was slowly getting aggressive. Someone told me that letting my dog roam around and suddenly crate him might affect his behavior.