Teaching a Retrieve

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Teaching a Retrieve

Post by ladybug1802 »

Hi guys,...wonder if you could help me with how you would teach a retrieve using the clicker? As simply as possible?

Thank you! :)
emmabeth

Re: Teaching a Retrieve

Post by emmabeth »

Back chain it!

Last stage of a retrieve is dropping the ball into your hand, so start out by handing him the item and clicking as he lets go of it into your hand. Then build the distance he has to carry it (so have him out to one side of you, hand him the ball and immediatley stick that hand behind your back and proffer your other hand so hes got to step across to put it in your hand).

Then build more distance, in picking it up off hte floor - if you have got 'balls goes IN hand' absolutely rock solid, then picking it up off the floor isn't so hard, but you might want to get your hand right under it the first few times as some dogs will get a bit flummoxed by picking it up off the floor rather than having it handed to them and just drop it immediately.

Then when he can pick up off the floor, put the ball a little further away, and build on that, gradually increasing the distance the ball has to be fetched from.

Then add in actually throwing the ball! Simples!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
ladybug1802

Re: Teaching a Retrieve

Post by ladybug1802 »

Fab thanks Em! I have kind of been doing that but I think my boy is a little slow bless him....we have got to the stage where I hold the toy with one hand and he will put his mouth round it and hold it for a couple of seconds....but I want to encourage him to do the same when it is on the ground. he will take it if my hand if holding it right near the floor...but not if i put it on floor!