Need urgent advice. minnie in season

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

simpleprincess

Need urgent advice. minnie in season

Post by simpleprincess »

Minnie my chihuahua came in season about a week ago, yes im having her spayed now im back home [ long story], I was going to do it when she came in again. Its a NIGHTMARE for me as moms intact RHOSEDIAN RIDEGEBACK keeps stalking me in the house constantly sniffing and drooling and tries to mount, he is fully grown and big, its hard to get him off. our house is tiny so there there isnt much space, minnie is in a different room.im at a loss, I bought ***** spray and sprayed her and me, he still does it, plus he whines at the door for her. :( Im not sure I can endure another 2 weeks or more of this.. she hasnt been started bleeding yet. :shock:

I can keep minnie safely away in another room, its just the unwantd attention from duke on my part, I cant even go to the bathroom in peace, hes right there. :cry:
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Either your dog and you, or the male dog, needs to live somewhere else for the next three weeks. The alternative is constance vigilance 24/7.

I have kept an experienced stud dog and a group of intact bitches together but all my dogs were well-trained. Sounds like the RR is a total lout - well-mannered intact males don't act like this. There is real danger you might get hurt - or worse, he might succeed in mating your tiny dog (yes it can happen) and damage her irreparably.

Get one of them into a boarding kennels, or else you and girlydog find lodgings temporarily.
simpleprincess

Post by simpleprincess »

Hes lol, Hes just under a year and a half. Not sure if its just his age? otherwise without minnie though hes ok. Mom is supposed to do dog classes with the kennel club but they never found another place to do the class in our area, mom wont go anywhere else. :roll: :roll:

Yeah i am seriously considering fostering her for 3 weeks, but I barely know anybody, I dont have money for a boarding kennels. :roll:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would put the male dog into kennels asap.

Foster the ***** out and you have NO control over what happens and if the foster family are not on the ball she could be mated. An accidental mating is bad at any time but with a chihuahua its VERY bad, the odds that the potential father is dangerously bigger than her... well thats a near on certainty!

It is unfair on either dog at the moment for them both to be near one another and you do risk a very nasty accident should they get together, or should he get even worse (which is pretty much certain as she gets more and more attractive his behaviour will worsen).

You dont really stand much of a chance at teaching him how to behave right now, his mind is on other things, so get him somewhere safe and keep your little ***** safe until her season is over.

Kennels may be expensive (they arent that expensive in the uk but that could be different where you are), but sorting out and repairing damage done in the event of an accident could be infinately more expensive.. if possible.
simpleprincess

Post by simpleprincess »

We took duke and the older dog jessie on the hills, they had a great time but even there,miles away he was still trying to have his way on me now and then and sniffing, we had a little water gun which helped. Then he played with his frisbee.

Also Mom called a friend who is willing to foster her for her season. thats good news!!!. we have to call back tommorow to arrange things. Im going to miss my little princess though *sniff* but I know its for the best until she "comes off" I hope his attention me will wane once shes gone? In the meantime ill book minnie in for a spay as soon as she is able to, I know seasons last a while and theres a little time adfter theyve finished that I have to wait. At least this will be her last one. * phew*