Any advice on working with shelter dogs?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Yoshi

Any advice on working with shelter dogs?

Post by Yoshi »

I mentioned a while ago back that I was going to apply at a local rescue shelter to work with the dogs there to get hands-on experience and to get to learn more about them. Well, I got accepted :D

Monday was my first day. I got to work with six dogs that all had different personalities and ranged from lab mixes, boxer mixes, keeshonden mixes, purebred labs, and one purebred chow. It was a trip learning their different personalities and quirks ;)

The biggest problem I've found with them is that they get overly excited when put on a lead and tend to pull (especially the boxer mix). I tried the turn around technique, and most of them got the message (except the boxer mix, haha). I'm thinking patience and persistence are the two big keys here, and I have plenty of both.

Another of my concerns are the other volunteers. Before day one we were told not to shout at the dogs, and I saw another newbie shouting at a young lab who was freaking out when a family with little kids walked in. I don't know if there's a whole lot I can do, because I feel that sharing my knowledge at this starting point would make me look more than a little cocky. I took the lab for a walk and away from the situation--and he was loving me up the whole time :wink:

The shelter is set up like this: there are about two dozen kennels in one long room. The kennels don't have solid walls, so the dogs are always nose-to-nose with each other. There are indoor and outdoor parts to each kennel. Outside is a large walking field where they can be exercised.

Anyone else have any experience that they could give to a new volunteer? I'm going back this coming Monday, and any and all help is appreciated.

Also, my apologies for not posting sooner, I've been coping with the loss of my little guinea pig. I know this is a dog forum, but he was special enough for at least a quick mention and will be missed dearly in this house :cry:
Dee-n-Josh

Post by Dee-n-Josh »

Working with shelter dogs is like working at kinder-care... they all have their own little quirks & personalities, and the best thing you can give them is your time and patience. Good for you for choosing to volunteer!!!

Advice? Do what you can to give each of those animals a positive environment... You may not be able to save/fix/help/train them all, all of the time, but you can give them a good experience to grow from.

As for the other volunteer that was shouting... offer to give a hand, practice deep breathing exercises in front of them, use soothing tones. If the volunteer doesn't respond, then a more direct approach may be required. Go to your "boss" and tell them that you have concerns about another volunteer. Rather than tattle, ask the boss to observe the volunteer for themselves.

Again... GOOD JOB! Thank you for volunteering! :D
Tiger: 4 year old Basenji x something
Solo: 5 month old GSD x Rottie
Both were found at www.petfinder.com