Problem with Drop It command

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

CarolinWI

Problem with Drop It command

Post by CarolinWI »

My almost 5 month old Grodon Setter is really out smarting me with the "drop it" command. When he grabs something like a sock or magazine he refuses to drop it. The only way I can get him to is offer something delicious like ham or chicken. He does that part of the command okay but then he grabs the object he just dropped before I can reach for it and runs off. It amazes me how quick he is! To him I'm sure it is just a game but it upsets me that he is becoming so mischievous! What happened to that sweet puppy that would do the "drop it" command and wait for me to hand him any old treat or another toy to play with? Every day I try my best to puppy proof the rooms he is allowed in but somehow he manages to find something I missed.

I'm afraid I caused this problem when he started grabbing whatever he sees on his walks. I couldn't get him to drop a bottle cap, stone, or some mysterious object hidden in his mouth so I got into the habit of prying his mouth open to remove the object. I figured safety is more important since he could be eating glass or something poisonous like chocolate. Now he is not willing to give up anything for a treat when outdoors.

Gordon Setters walk with their nose to the ground quite often the way it is so it's hard to keep him from grabbing something. I am continually scanning the sidewalk and trails as we walk. The only way I can avoid this from happening is to make him heel and keep his head up but that is no fun for him. (I do make him heel when I need to at times). He walks quite well on a loose leash (which is 6 foot) and is so happy on our walks that I hate to spoil it. Any suggestions what I can do? Is their hope that he will outgrow this?
amomschoice

Re: Problem with Drop It command

Post by amomschoice »

I have the same issue with my beagle/lab mix. I read somewhere to do a trade. We do a trade for a treat. It has worked well instead of it turning into a chasing game. Now most times he will drop the object before I get the treat to trade with him. I usually say trade then get a treat. You will need the treat to get him to release the object. He still tries to make it a game, but I don't make it one. It works. Try stepping on the object.
Last edited by amomschoice on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amomschoice

Post by amomschoice »

An afterthought check out kikopup on training ideas. It's found on YouTube she's an international known dog trainer. Her videos are a lifesaver for me.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Ok so you have the right idea on how to teach a good 'drop' command....but i think you may need to adapt it a bit. so he steals something you dont want him to have.....then absolutely you need to hgave a yummy treat and use it as a trade. As he drops the object you dont want him to have, say the cue "drop", but make sure you pick that object up before you give him the treat.

do you do clicker training? If so, click as soon as he drops the object, then pick it up, THEN give him the treat. So he learns that when he drops the object is the behaviour that is being rewarded, but then he gets the treat when the object is off the floor.

What you could also do is start teaching him to drop the object into your hand.....so when you are teaching him you want him to 'drop' the object, pleace your hand underneath his mouth so the object drops into your hand, then reward.

Now out of interest, what is his daily routine like? How much mental stimulation does he get (ie meals fed out of treat balls or kongs, games you play with him, clicker training)? He cant have much exercise of course, but he could well be stealing objects because he has learnt it is the one surefire way of getting your attention and getting what he sees to be a game.

As for his scavenging on walks, you could consider putting abasket muzzle on him. This is a good way of allowing him his freedom and he csn still pant and drink,, but he cant pick up anything dangerous. But make sure it is a basket muzzle and not one of those neoprene tighht ones which stop them opning their mouths...they cant pant in these or drink, and can overheat.
Wilkie

Post by Wilkie »

ladybug1802 wrote:As for his scavenging on walks, you could consider putting abasket muzzle on him. This is a good way of allowing him his freedom and he csn still pant and drink,, but he cant pick up anything dangerous. But make sure it is a basket muzzle and not one of those neoprene tighht ones which stop them opning their mouths...they cant pant in these or drink, and can overheat.
Not to jump onto another topic, but I'm having the same issues with Sophie. She will eat anything outside and I'm concerned that she might pick up something dangerous like, harmful plants, tainted food, etc, when out in the yard or on walks. I live near some "anti-animals in general" people that believe no animal should live in a home because they're dirty and should be treated like cockroaches. I don't want Sophie picking up food with poison in it as I know there are disgusting people in the world that actually do stuff like that :evil: Would you recommend a basket muzzle while out in the yard as well as on walks? At least until I can teach her to drop objects. She's so stubborn and thinks everything is a game and doesn't always like to listen. I think she has selective hearing and the desire to make herself sick.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Guys, keep in mind that often dogs just need to do something, engage in some activity, preferably with their beloved humans. Don't necessarily look at this as "mischievous".. He is saying - "Let's play, mom, I am bored, and here is a great game - I will steal your sock and you try to get it back, you never will! :lol: :lol: "

Teaching "drop it" is like teaching any other command - you need to be consistent, "drop it" means "drop it"', but you need to set the dog up for success... Which I think means - practice "drop it" when he is not in such playful mood. When he is bored and full of energy, practicing "drop it" is like practicing recall with a hound who just spotted a rabbit - it won't work, you will get frustrated, your sock will get destroyed, and the dog will learn that "drop it" means "drop it if you feel like, otherwise just run away and keep it".

So - don't let him get to the point of being so bored and full of energy that he has to burn his energy via mischievous games he himself invents. You won't like those games! Get him busy, doing something, or even playing the same game but with a toy of your choice... And practice "drop it" when you know that he will hear you!

Just my 2 cents....
CodeBon

Post by CodeBon »

Practice, practice, practice :). Because I train with food, my dog is very food driven. I live near a park where a lot of untidy teenagers hang out, leaving all sorts of tempting food litter behind.

Part of the training is just building the habit in the dog to drop something. Set yourself a goal of practicing drop it in the house with relatively unappealing things 100 times a day (probably not possible, but it's a good goal). You actually build a conditioned physical response, where the dog stops thinking about what he's dropping. Then take the show on the road and practice dropping things you've brought outside with you. Then graduate to slightly more interesting things (and really good food rewards!).

It takes time, but worth it to save the possibility of the dog picking something up that is not good for him.