Howler - please help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Helleborus

Howler - please help!

Post by Helleborus »

Please help!!
I have a 5 year old rescue cocker who insists on howling at around 5.30am each morning. I've tried telling her off, and praising when stopped but she still does it! I've put up with it since I got her 8 weeks ago. She not alone either because I have her 16 week old son (who is quiet!).
Winterwish

Howler

Post by Winterwish »

Wonderful that you've adopted dogs in need of a home!

Would you consider walking her at about 5:15,before the howling starts,to possibly break the cycle?
You may have to do it for about a month or so,but it may pay off nicely.
(have to say I've never tried this tho')

If it works,you may need to take another month toward making the walks later and later,back to a more do-able time for you.

I know that's very early in the morning,but it might interrupt the routine if I can call it that,- in this case the routine being to howl at about 5:30 a.m. :roll:

Looking forward to seeing other ideas that may be posted,and hope a solution will be in the works for you soon.
DoggoneGA

Post by DoggoneGA »

Is it possible there is some noise, either inside your house or outside, that could be triggering her howling? Maybe something like a neighbor starting their car...or even an alarm clock going off...or another dog howling that she can hear, but you can't! Dogs have incredibly sensitive hearing, but they are not all sensitive to the same sounds. So it's possible your girl is hearing something that bothers her, but doesn't bother your boy.

You might try getting a "white noise" sleep machine for her. Try the different sounds to be sure they don't set her off and then leave it turned on in the same room with her. Maybe it will block the noise, if it IS a noise that is getting her going.
Helleborus

Post by Helleborus »

Thank you all for your advice.
I'm also going to try putting a blanket over her cage at night!
I will let you know if I find a solution!