Help with introducing new dogs?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

marydoane

Help with introducing new dogs?

Post by marydoane »

I'm wondering if anyone can provide a method for introducing two dogs who are unfamiliar with each other. I'm speaking about two dogs who won't reside together but will visit often, if possible. Both can be a bit "bossy" at times so I'm looking for ways to increase the probabilty that they will eventually get along with each other. . . Will an off leash, neutral territory introduction help?

mary
Winterwish

introducing 2 dogs

Post by Winterwish »

Very true,usually neutral territory on leash outside the home tends to be the best thing.
That way they can safely introduce themselves to each other.
I'd follow it up with a relaxed walk together,on leash,generally each person and dog side by side if you have the road space for that.

Since it seems they're assertive in nature,I wouldn't add a toy between them at this point. I think it's best to begin with simple introductions.

I'm sure it'll work out nicely!
You're already on your way just by looking into ideas on it. :)
marydoane

Re: introducing 2 dogs

Post by marydoane »

[quote="Winterwish"]Very true,usually neutral territory on leash outside the home tends to be the best thing.

Hmmm. ..

An "off leash" meeting, or on leash, as you mentioned? This seems to be the difficulty. I'm thinking a fenced area, where the dogs can do a bit of running, playing. .. body language communication. .. provided there's no initial aggression?
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd be inclined for the dogs to meet off-lead in an open area where they have plenty of space to get away from each other, do the assertiveness thing, generally run through the whole posturing and introduction behaviour between them, and get their status settled.

It's my experience that dogs are more assertive on-lead where they can't get away from each other. On-lead can work if there is plenty of space between them and they can walk parallel, but if you have open space available I woud choose that.

I also think two meetings on neutral territory at least, before one comes into the other's home. And still be prepared for fireworks - I have one friend with whom I have walked for years, but two of our dogs have to be watched when in the home together. Both bitches of course! :?
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I always introduce any foster dogs coming here on the lead, 2 people 2 dogs, we stand chatting and gradually get closer until we can stand face to face as normal people do when talking. We then to off for a short walk side by side.

When we get back, the new dog goes inside first to sniff around without the other dog. As this dog has usually come quite a long way I put it into the dining room with a nice, comfy bed and water, then give the dog a small feed.

The other dog comes in then and is let off the lead, they make straight for the dining room door but can't get to the new dog. They stand and sniff, get lots of new dog smells then go off to do their own thing.

Once the new dog has rested I close the door on my other dogs and let it out of the dining room while I am in the kitchen. I then put my other dogs outside and bring the new dog into the living room and put into a crate. My dogs are then let in but not allowed to all race up to the new dog, they have to go up 1 at a time.

The new dog has been in the house several hours by this time and my dogs are bored so don't make much fuss. Once my dogs are asleep, I put a long lead on the new dog and bring it out, if ok, I drop the lead.

Having had a dog that wanted to kill my others, I find that even dogs that are aggressive because of fear are fine when introduced slowly like this.

The new dog sleeps in a crate in my bedroom and my other dogs are normally on the bed.

This works for me.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Many roads to the same destination - that's one of the things that makes dog training so interesting :D
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

You are right Nettle, I also find I have to tweak the introductions to suit the dog that is coming in. It is a lot easier to introduce a dog when you just have one or 2 dogs, but when 5 or 5, it is very different as I found out.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
marydoane

Post by marydoane »

Thanks so much for your help with this! I'll put these tips to good use and let you know how it all goes!

Mary