Night Time Toilet

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

BienChien

Night Time Toilet

Post by BienChien »

Hi, me again. Sorry to be a pest but I have another question.

My puppy is now 9 weeks old and sleeps in my kitchen at night. He goes out for his wee etc. just before I go to bed (about 11pm) and I have been coming down at about 3am and putting him outside for a wee.

Is this the right thing to do please or am I creating any bad habits for him?

Thank you.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You are doing so well and exactly right. Well done for being such a good DogMama!
BienChien

Post by BienChien »

Thank you Nettle - that's good to know. Do you have any idea how long it takes for a puppy to go through the night (i.e. will I have bags under my eyes long term?)
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Depends on the puppy and the length of 'all night'. :D Sorry that's not much of an answer! Bladder and bowel control comes sooner for some than others and there is no 'benchmark'. Some of mine have lasted an 8 hour night at twelve weeks!!!! and I know others that have gone on six months or more.

I suggest extending your middle of the night time by 10 minutes each night up until half an hour, then after a few days at 0330, do the same until 0400 etc. until you have a longer stretch, but take it very slowly.
BienChien

Post by BienChien »

What a good idea! I shall certainly try that. Thanks Nettle.