My Large dog is aggressive with small dogs only.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Taelor

My Large dog is aggressive with small dogs only.

Post by Taelor »

I adopted my dog about 2 years ago. I found her as a stray when she was already fully grown, around 4 years old. I recognized immediately that she was never trained, but she is a very fast learner. She now knows the following commands very well: Sit, lay down, stay, shake, other paw, "bang" (play dead), hurry, slow down, inside, outside, get your food, get water. However, she has had a difficult time learning "leave it", especially when it comes to other dogs. She lives with a cat, which she has never shown any aggressive behavior toward. Unfamiliar cats on the other hand she tries to chase. She plays well with other large dogs, but when I first got her she was attacked by three little dogs on two separate occasions. Ever since she was attacked by the little dogs, as soon as a little dog becomes aggressive anywhere near her she wants to go after it but I do not allow her to. I try to socialize her with calm small dogs from time to time and she does fine. If a little dog is near her, and tries to play, she sniffs the dog but if the dog runs away she acts like it's a game of chase which I do not allow fearing she my either just step on the dog while chasing. Also, I fear if the little dog becomes aggressive for whatever reason she may attack. Today that fear came true... Both her and the little dog where on leashes. At first everything was fine. Both dogs where sniffing each other and interacting fine, but when the little dog tried to turn and run to start to play my dog grabbed the little dog around its rib cage and held it in her mouth without perforating the skin. The owner of the little dog and I where able to separate them quickly without any bloodshed, thankfully. I gave the woman my name and number so if she took the dog to the vet she could get a hold of me by phone to collect any necessarily compensation. I don't have much money, but I'll do whatever it takes to fix the behavioral issues. Thank you so much for your time, and I appreciate any advice I may receive.
Ari_RR

Re: My Large dog is aggressive with small dogs only.

Post by Ari_RR »

I am not sure that it's aggression though... This sounds more like chasing/catching small furry things. What kind of dog is yours?

In the meantime - if she has a tendency of going after small dogs, I would simply stay away from small dogs until you have a good plan how to deal with it. I think most dogs have a type that they don't like (or like too much). For example, my boy was at some point attacked by a Shar-pei, so now all Shar-peis are on his hit list.. Good thing they are rare in my part of the world, but when we see one - we have to turn and run, otherwise my boy will turn into Cujo and try to rip the poor unsuspecting Shar-pei apart.. And you can only imagine what this looks like for people around, who don't know that Ari only reacts to Shar-peis and for a reason :roll: (this is where I may get nice friendly suggestions like "you should neuter him or keep him locked up" :lol: ) But still, avoiding Shar-peis is much easier for us than devising a strategy of desensitizing to them.

But again, I am not at all sure from what you described that it's aggression.. To me seems that she chased and caught a small dog, and then didn't know what to do with it and just held it without really inflicting any harm... Is she a hound type? But also - whether it's aggression, or high prey drive kicking in, the starting point is probably the same - avoid close contact, stay at a distance where she can see a small dog, but not be totally focused on it, and not react.

Hopefully others will soon give more substantive comments and advice.

Cheers!
volito

Post by volito »

I would agree stay away from off leash play with small dogs until you work on installing new behaviors/emotions to smaller dogs. The few why's listed above seem like the issues and if it where me I would start a training plan on teaching dog how to act/or work on emotions around small dogs. DS CC CCC around small dogs and if you ever get to off leash training make sure under heavy supervision. It takes time for big dogs to learn how to play with smaller ones and all starts at a young age.

Also just add one very important term that all trainers,owners and daycares are terrified of happening is "Predatory Drift-is when a big dog spontaneously takes a small dog for prey'" It is said that it is something that just clicks in a dogs head and no training technique can prepare for this it just happens "eye/stalk-chase-grab/kill bit". That is why MOST good daycare centers seperate small dogs from big dogs when they are out in the daycare floor "along with temperments ETC." I am actully boarding a 8 month old black lab right now that has had no contact with small dogs and his play and body language is so overwhelming to the little guys I cannot trust him a second alone with them. If seperated from gates they are fine as soon as I add a small one she just goes through the prey/retrieve- chase- grab bite -stomp all breeds have different instincts.

Your dog sounds like it has a strong prey drive "what breed or breeds?" I would stick to a traiing plan and get your cues proofed and work on a GREAT recall under heavey distractions. I personnaly love the premack recall technique in training a STRONG COME.

good luck
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Keeping exceptionally prey-driven dogs myself - and working them - 'predation drift' is not a theory I agree with (doesn't mean it's wrong - just that my own experience makes me disagree :wink: ). What I DO see is dogs interacting and then one taking its chance to attack the other when the other is off guard. That skin isn't broken and bones aren't crushed does not mean it isn't an attack, but obviously the bite here was inhibited and we are all thankful for that.

Just as dogs know we are not dogs, dogs know other dogs ARE dogs. They don't suddenly have a brain tingle and think of them as 'prey' - they understand they are dogs, they perceive weakness and they go in to exploit that weakness.

Please don't think this is any criticism of you for presenting the theory, Volito - it is a popular one. But IMO it's an incorrect scientific interpretation that one day (soon I hope) will be better understood, in just the same way scientists now tell us they were wrong about pack theory/alpha/dominance.

I was a lone voice speaking against that, too :lol:
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS