need help with my dog reactive pit mix, thanks!!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

wendytony17

need help with my dog reactive pit mix, thanks!!

Post by wendytony17 »

I NEED HELP! I am sure a thousand dog parents started their letter's to you like this. OK, here it goes.
I am a first time dog owner. I adopted my dog, "Cassidy" from the North Shore Animal League Shelter. I love her. But, love is not enough. I have learned that. I have read so much since June 9th 2012 ( the day we adopted her) , to educate myself. I read, too late of course, how to choose a dog. Well, I chose Cass, or she chose me? with out educating myself enough. But she is ours now and I will not give up becoming the leader she needs me to be. She is a very sweet dog. She loves people. When I saw at the shelter, she was very depressed and stressed. She was of course docile and shy.
After caring for her and getting her back to health, she really came alive. She was happy and feeling much better. She is ab...out one and a half years old. She is a mix, but mostly Pit. She pulled like crazy and I read a lot and worked with her. She really improved. But, there is one tremendous challenge I cannot read about and rehab her from is her aggression towards other dogs. She goes into what my sister says is the " red zone". She growls and she sees , nothing else. She will not ac knowledge me. Not even food. It is impossible to walk her. We live in Queens in an area where there are a lot of dogs. So at every turn, there is a dog. My sister lives in the country and has 3 Pits who are not reactive, and Cass wanted to fight them as well. Well, thanks for listening. So grateful that you have been blessed to live in the moment with your dogs. As challenging as Cassidy is, she has helped me so much with my PTSD because I must live in the moment. That is essential for me. She is my blessing and I hope one day to be hers.
Wendy Vigil