Where can I find good methods for dog training?

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dylanalexander55

Where can I find good methods for dog training?

Post by dylanalexander55 »

I want to get a dog soon, but I don't know how to train them. I had a dog when I was small, but he wasn't very well trained. He jumped up on people, barked at every random noise he heard, and always jumped onto the furniture. That's why I want to know some tips for training a dog.
JudyN

Re: Where can I find good methods for dog training?

Post by JudyN »

That's funny. According to numerous other forums you've posted on, you have a puppy called Flapjack, a 2-year-old boxer, two blind cocker spaniels, a mastiff, a nine-month-old pitbull, an 18-year-old chi/beagle mix, a labrador/retriever.... You're 10 years old and your son has a shepard...
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Judy...I had no idea...Internet detective was one of your numerous skills :twisted: :lol:

While I realize the opening post is most likely spam, some people may come across this thread based on a google search....

The answer to the question..... This forum is a good place to start. If you like to learn from books and/or DVD, Jean Donaldson's How to train like a pro is a great book/dvd combo to start with. available from Amazon.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Well done JudyN! Internet spy!
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Tauni

Post by Tauni »

Maybe I'm naive or I don't comprehend the joys of trolling, but why would someone do that? :roll:
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Actual trolls - I don't know, some of them just want to start arguments as they get a kick out of it, I can kind of understand that, its an obvious attention thing and an ego stroking exercise (ie, they think they 'win' and that bolsters their ego..)

With the ones who just post random stories that change from forum to forum, again attention seeking is all I can come up with.. weird.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

jacksdad wrote:While I realize the opening post is most likely spam, some people may come across this thread based on a google search....
That's why I didn't mention the triangular blue pills he also has an interest in... :wink:

I think what the aim can sometimes be is to post on lots of forums and then, when the posts have sunk down the rankings a little, sneak back in and add a signature with a commercial link, helping the company's google rankings. This is a full-time job for some people :? I have honed my spam-sniffing-out skills over many years on the forum I run - there's not many get past me 8) Trouble is, I can't get out of the habit on other forums. Maybe I could make it a full-time job :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
minkee

Post by minkee »

There's a whole other brand of spammer known as a "plant". This is fairly common on games forums - they'll post normally and helpfully, garnering a good reputation for themselves, and then really rave and lend their good opinion to the games of whichever brand is paying them to. I imagine it happens in other areas too!
runlikethewind

Post by runlikethewind »

Nice one Judy. Wow brilliant detective work