HELP! Rottweiler becomes aggressive on a lead.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rottiemad:)

HELP! Rottweiler becomes aggressive on a lead.

Post by rottiemad:) »

Hi I have a 20 month old male rottweiler. In his previous home he was treated very badly I have had him for almost a year. When I got him he was petrified of loud noises and didn't know how to play or interact with other dogs. Slowly I began to bring him out of his shell so to speak.
Now when he is on a lead if he sees another dog he goes balistic. He pulls growls and barks. To other people he looks out of control. Off of a lead he will run over to the other dog despite my calls for him to come back he completely ignores me! At home he is a a big teddy bear and 75% of the time he is outside he is brilliant. He has an extremely short attention span and is easily distracted by anthing that moves. He loves cats, doesn't chase them, hurt them or even pay attention to them but other dogs is another issue. Off of the lead he is usually fine but can still become aggressive. I have tried using food as a distraction, I have tried making him sit down and wait (this was very hard to enforce as he is extremely strong and weighs almost as much as me) I have used a head collar (he hates this and it usually makes him worse) I have also tried a harness (this was better but i still couldnt get him under control I just had to pull him past the other dogs) if anyone has any tips please help!