New foster "nipping" my face

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

doxielover

New foster "nipping" my face

Post by doxielover »

I just picked up two 10-year-old doxies to foster. They were left at a shelter with a note that said "Don't want anymore!" Ugh!!!!

Anyway, they are sweet as pie but the boy has a bad habit of trying to "nip" my face/nose. He has great inhibition and I can tell he's just excited to have some attention and not aggressive. However, this is a habit I definitely want to get him to stop. What's the best way to go about it? I have some ideas but would like to hear what others might suggest. Thank you.
Erica

Re: New foster "nipping" my face

Post by Erica »

Time outs would probably work in this situation - here's a great guide on how to effectively use a time out. :)

You could also try redirecting him to something else - if he's, say, holding a toy, he can't nibble you - so that might also be worth looking into.
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

I would say, hes a doxie.. how is he getting near your face??

Remove temptation, don't get to face level with him, encourage him to keep all four paws on the ground and reward heavily for that - time outs might be useful but I suspect this is an appeasement 'desperate to please' type giddy behaviour and if you upset him, hes goign to want to appease you and be your friend even MORE so will do this more..

Be ready to stuff a toy in his mouth or distract him by chucking a toy or a treat and don't give him much opportunity to do it - give him lots of other behaviours to do that ARE super rewarding for him.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
doxielover

Post by doxielover »

Thanks for the replies.

Emma, because they are so small I like to sit on the floor to interact with them. They'll crawl on my lap and then the boy tries to get up into my face. What I've been doing is if he sits nicely I pet him. If he tries to even reach up for a lick I turn my head and put him back on the floor. I'm hoping he'll associated reaching up with being put down and sitting nicely in my lap with receiving the reward he wants...me to pet him. It's very obvious they are starved for affection. They so enjoy being petted and getting belly rubs. They are super friendly with everyone they've met so far.