Crate crying

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

amomschoice

Crate crying

Post by amomschoice »

My 4 month old beagle lab gets stressed out in the cage. I put him in the cage to leave and he will start crying hysterical. I've stood outside and he will stop in a min or two. When I come home he is beyond hysterical so I get him out immediately. Also what can I do so he will sleep on the floor instead of in our bed. He can jump into the bed. Co sleeping started with foster family. He was in 5 homes before I got him. Last family was with 2 autistic kids. One really hyper.
lucyandbella

Re: Crate crying

Post by lucyandbella »

I am not sure about the crate thing, it maybe separation anxiety or he is uncomfortable in his crate. Do you leave him with stuffed Kong type toys when you leave? For the sleeping at night buy a dog bed and put it very close to your bed, I put mine where I could reach down and pet my dog. When he jumps on your bed just ask him to get down and lay on the dog bed, lure him with a treat if you have to. Then pet him while lying on his bed. It may take awhile but he should learn that he has to sleep on the dog bed. The first night you may have to do this many many times to get him to stay in his bed. Just stay calm and patient and repeat the process until he no longer is jumping up on your bed. Also if you wake up and he is sleeping on your bed ask him to go to his bed (I would first train a cue to go to his bed before I started any of this). Once he is staying on his bed and if you need to move the bed somewhere else because you don't want it that close to your bed, slowly move it where you want the dog bed to end up over the course of a few nights.
Tauni

Post by Tauni »

Poor little guy has had 5 homes in 4 months. Probably separation anxiety but also it's going to take him some time to feel comfortable and safe. Lucyandbella gave some good advice about the sleeping arrangements. I'm sure someone will be along with more advice about the crate crying.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

you might be rushing the crate training.

Some dogs need to start with first getting used to just being in the crate with the door open. Then once that is accomplished you might need to start with him going into the crate, close the door, open the door walk way. just that quick. And of course whenever doing this make sure there are good things happening to him. A special chew toy that is only available to him in the crate, a super yummy stuffed kong etc.

some dogs take to crates quick and easy, some don't.

he might also have separation issues. 5 homes in such a short life so far, bound to insecurities in this dog. sometimes crates help dogs with separation issues, sometimes they make it worse. It all depends on the dog. there are alternatives to crates if you need to restrict your dog while your not at home. something along the lines of the picture in this article http://www.dogstardaily.com/training/pu ... -8-9-weeks could be less traumatic to a dog, particularly if you need the dog confined now while you work on crate training at a pace that isn't pushing your dog faster than it's ready for.
amomschoice

Post by amomschoice »

he is housebroken. That's not an issue at all. Actually very good at whining at door to go out. He was 11 weeks old I got him so 5 homes in such a short time. I have to leave him in crate or he gets into trouble terrorizing my 12 year old dog. During the day he crashes on the sofa. He hangs very close to me. It used to be I'd walk our of room and he would cry and cry. Now sometimes I can leave the room without crying. Before me no one wanted my sweet baby. He can be a handful but didn't deserve 5 homes in 11 weeks.
amomschoice

Post by amomschoice »

The kennel at dog star will not work. He is a jumper.
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Can you not just keep him in one room - say the kitchen? Put his bed in there, water, kongs etc, puppy proof it but then leave him in there? he is not happy in the crate...so you need to go back to basics if you want him to feel happy in there.
doxielover

Post by doxielover »

Couple of things that worked with my greyhound that I was advised from others: I fed him meals in there, gave treats only in the crate, and gave kongs only in the crate. He soon learned good things happen in the crate. I made sure to put him in the crate WHILE I was home. Otherwise, he was learning that the crate meant I leave the house. I would put him in the crate with a kong while I cooked dinner or did some chores. He whined a little but settled down and watched me move around the house. I made leaving and coming back non-events. I would put him in the crate 10 minutes before leaving (with a kong) and when I came back I waited about 5-10 minutes and let him out without a big to do.

Now that dog LOVES his crate. I leave the door open while I'm at home and he goes in there all the time to just rest or bring treats into it.

Some dogs may not like the crate at all and you might have to come up with a different solution. Separation anxiety can be a slow, difficult process to treat. Good luck to you.