Cat chaser

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

FAndrews

Cat chaser

Post by FAndrews »

Can I please have any advice on how to get my 5 month old Pekingese/Bichon puppy to stop chasing my two 8 year old cats. At times he is really good with them, other times he will chase them and bark. I don't think it is anything aggressive, more he wants to play but they do not!

He will often try to stand on them if they are lying down, is this him asserting his dominance?

I am currently trialing doing time-out session each time he chases them.
Any other ideas to get my little fur-family playing nicely!? 8)
Fiona - Pekachon
booandloo

Post by booandloo »

This months copy of Dogs Today has a lengthy article on making two terriers cat safe. Might be of interest to you. Good luck.
booandloo

Post by booandloo »

Oops! Just realised you are in NZ. Here's the website for the magazine http://dogstodaymagazine.co.uk/. It's a lengthy article with details of the training methods used. I'm sure they would send you the December issue if you can't get it where you are.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Its not dominance, no.

Its 'im a terrier, you are small and furry, chasing is FUNFUNFUN'.

If your cats will run, then your pups will chase. So its up to you to prevent them from making the cats run (im lucky here, my cat wont run he just lies there like a big tabby lump and thus harrassing him is no fun at all).

Give the cats the opportunity to escape where the pups cant follow, so perhaps a baby gate somewhere.

Give the puppies a very sharp 'AH AH' if they have a go at the cats and quickly provide them with something they CAN rag and chase.

Terriers like to chase and kill things, if you dont provide something suitable then it would appear your cats fit the bill nicely, so its your job to provide something acceptable.

Hth

Em