Least interesting thing EVER

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Sarah83

Least interesting thing EVER

Post by Sarah83 »

That's me according to Spencer. Seriously, he will completely ignore me in favour of anyone or anything else. I'm the one who feeds him, walks him, trains him and plays with him yet I'm the one he'll ignore in favour of anyone else. I dunno whether it's his age (13 months, well in the horrible adolescent bracket) or something else. He doesn't want any of the treats I've tried him with, he'd rather have crappy Bakers treats. But only if they're from someone else, he won't eat them for me. He doesn't want any of his toys, not even his favourite ball. Yet if someone other than me picks up a stick that's it, he's glued to them. I'm not even sure where to start on fixing this problem :( Any advice would be much appreciated.
Nettle

Re: Least interesting thing EVER

Post by Nettle »

Yup.

Wait :D

He's being a crass teenager and he'll grow out of it.

Don't take it personally - he'd be doing it to anyone he knows he has unlimited access to.

I'd also say cut his grub down during the day and make sure you exercise a hungry dog. He can eat his fill in the evenings.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Cheers Nettle, makes me feel a bit better that it's probably his age. In the meantime I guess I'll be sticking with the long line and being consistent with things and hope this phase doesn't last too long.

He already gets most of his food in the evening. I have to give him some in the morning otherwise he's sick but I usually take that out with us and use it as training rewards.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Hmmmm... :? This is an interesting and unsettling point.
So.. Aris's recall is, eh, less then perfect, regardless of the treats I might have on me, it could be Pâté de foie gras or Chariot de fromage, won't matter a bit to him. But, I noticed on a couple of occasions when I share a walk with another dog owner and she calls him - he would respond. I attributed this to some extraordinary treats she had, and took a mental note to ask her about it that next time I see her. But is it possible that it's because, just like Sarah, I am the least interesting thing ever??? It better not be, or else it better not be age then, Sarah, as Ari is 21 months old and this phenomena has no sign of going away!!

Not much help, but at least - hey! There is a good company for least interesting things! :lol: :lol:
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

Want to join me on the Boring Bench Ari? I have cookies! :lol:

I do seem to recall Shadow going through a stage of ignoring me and bogging off to go for a walk with his friends and their owners. I think he was around 2 and a half when he stopped that so there's hope yet Ari. I asked the girl I walked with what treats she had. First walk she had Bakers treats, the last walk she had the same treats as me. Apparently they're much nicer when they're someone elses treats though :roll:
minkee

Post by minkee »

Ari there was a vast and noticable difference in Scout at 21 months, and Scout at 24, 25, 26 months. Hang in there! And she's a small breed dog, too.

At around the same age as Spencer, Scout went through a similar thing. This is why I ended up here, infact! She would 'rubber band' between me and other dogs / exciting things, and eventually, once she figured out that she could take her ball (best thing in the world) over TO these exciting people, she had ZERO reason to listen to me. It did not help that every single person in the world will pick up and throw a ball dropped by a strange dog at their feet! I can dig up my old thread if you like, but really it was attributed to a poor recall, and the solution was to go back to basics on that, avoid other people (so we went to a quiet green instead of the beach) where I was the only thing around - she was on a long lead so she couldn't go haring off, too, and did tons of work on that. She WOULD listen and pay attention to me so long as there was nothing more enticing around though (people + dogs miles away on the beach). And she had grown up learning to love clicker training with me, which might make a difference.

All in all though, it sounds like you just need to hang in there, and perhaps try some 1-1 walks where he can't find other people / dogs to drop you for.

Here's the thread, so you know you're not alone! : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10726&p=74240
jilldiane

Post by jilldiane »

Aren`t human kids abit like that aswell? I seem to recall my daughter never wanting to be seen with me, grunting when I asked her about her day. But her friends mums oh they were wonderful, go off shopping with them tell them allsorts, while the said friends child was probably sat there silent and grumpy about being out with parent! Kids hey! who would have `em furry or human, ungrateful little blighters all :lol: