Advise for training new dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

danastinson

Re: Advise for training new dog

Post by danastinson »

I know allowing the dog to jump up on you is a possesive behavior but when Maya is introduced to my neighbors she likes to bark alot to the point that I have to pick her up to calm her down, but then when she was introduced to the baby she kind of growled at her but she did eventualy lick the babies hand. Is this fine or do I need to find another way to introduce her to people?
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Babies are tricky... unpredictable movements, noises, flapping arms, they get scared of dogs easily, poke them, scream at them, run away from them, pull their tails and ears, and so on.

My guiding principal is introduction on the dog's terms. Let the person wait, until the dog comes to the person, not the other way around. This is not too difficult to achieve with the majority of reasonable adults. But babies present challenges...
danastinson

Post by danastinson »

So now that I have gone almost one week with Maya and there is still a little aggression but not as much if she gets exercise and alone time with me. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to teach her that if she feels threatened to go into her Kennel. I feel bad because sometimes I am gone for long periods of time and she will have to sit there while Coco can go in and out of the house if she so feels like (she prefers the couch :roll: ). The time frame will come down but not until September when we move from downtown to a warehouse close to my house.
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

I am afraid that attack mode (growling, snarly face, teeth out etc... things sometimes referred to as "aggressive behavior") is a lot more natural response to being threatened than going into kennel. I would try to eliminate the cause of her fear, rather than teach her to respond with an action which may go against her instinct.
danastinson

Post by danastinson »

Her fear is Coco and I cant leave her outside all day its too hot and my neighbors dogs drive her insane from the back yard and if she barks to much my side neighbors complain because they both have babies. Will Maya be fine for that period of time. I was reading other posts that said not to kennel a dog for long periods and that makes me wonder. I do give her water and toys and am planning on getting a bigger kennel and she doesnt potty in it (previous owners kennled her at night and all day), but I wish I could leave her out while I'm gone. She has her own bed down stairs next to Coco and she does really well at night and tells me when she needs to potty. Could part of her going into attack mode just be that Coco is getting attention and she isnt?
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

That I am not sure...

But if she is afraid of Coco, and you want them both to be indoors during the day, on their own - could you perhaps consider separating them during the day? With, for example, smartly positioned doggie barriers, so each of them has her own area?
danastinson

Post by danastinson »

I dont know I haven't tried that. I know that Coco cant be left without a way to get outside to go potty (my carpet has the stains to prove it), and I'm nervouse to leave Maya downstairs cause that is where the Guinea Pig has to stay because there is very little draft down there. Saturday I am thinking about talking to Coco's dog trainer to see if he has any suggestions.
ckranz

Post by ckranz »

Rather then using a Kennel perhaps you can set up an xPen for Maya. It would give her much more room to lie or relax or even play in while protecting your guinea pig.

In the mean time I would be playing lots of games rewarding quickly for looking at your piglet but not reacting. You will need to be very quick initially and eventually her interst in your piglet will diminish. It can take a few weeks but it will work. If you want her to have access to outside then you could use the xPen around a dog door. Of course this will restrict Coco's access both for going out and retuning back in.
danastinson

Post by danastinson »

Just got her in with cocos trainer keeping fingers crossed this works two hours reasoning firm me one for them a peice i must really love my dogs

OOPS sorry meant two hours training for me and one hour for them apeice. Guess thats what I get for using my "Smartphone" :oops: :lol:
Last edited by danastinson on Fri May 18, 2012 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.