My dogs dont come!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

DogCharmer

My dogs dont come!

Post by DogCharmer »

I have 2 small mix breed dogs. I have a hard time teaching them the come "command". I have used treats to bribe them to come, run away from them hoping they will follow, but they seem to be too smart. They will run to the top of my driveway and walk along and a lot of the time in the road. I cant seem to get either of them to come. I am so afraid they will get out and get ran over. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Your dogs should never be off leash if there is a road near by. Here's another thread that explains some stuff.

http://www.victoriastilwell.com/phpBB2/ ... 875b1ddeaa
Training with my mind, not my hands.
DogCharmer

hi

Post by DogCharmer »

i dont let my dogs off the leash by a road. If someone goes inside the house with their arms full, there are 3 dogs so they all want to get outside and run free, so sometimes they will escape through a tiny opening
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Then you need to re-arrange the dogs' accommodation so that there is at least one barrier between them and the front door - this is a situation that has to be managed, because even the best-trained dogs might run out of an open door, and it only takes once to cause a tragedy.

Until you have arranged the barrier, anyone entering should make several journeys with one arm free rather than just one with arms full, so tbhat the priority is keeping the dogs safe and away from the temptation of the open door.

Once you have the barrier in place (baby gates are great) train the dogs to go to their beds whenever someone comes to the door. If you want more info on how to do this, just ask and we'll be glad to go into details for you.