New here. Have questions about owning 2+ dogs

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

rjb34me

New here. Have questions about owning 2+ dogs

Post by rjb34me »

Hi, this is my first post here. My name is Kristen, we have a large family 3 kids 15,10, and 5. Two furry kids, Dusty 1.5 (female), and Daisy (11 weeks).
We got both dogs from a local rescue. We have had Dusty since she was 16 weeks old.
I admit we where very lax with training with Dusty. Although she can do all the basics, come, stay, sit, down. My son (15) , (and of course we do too) does play with her often, and challenges her mentally. She loves that. One of my problems with her, is when we have company come over, she freaks, barking, will not listen to me. I in turn freak, because she is not listening. Anyways, she would also freak in the yard barking if someone walked by the house.
I have really started cracking down on this, now she does 1 bark, with a low growl if someone walks by and is starting to listen to me when I tell her quiet. She has had a few lapses, but we are working on it , DAILY, multiple times. My big problem lies in when people actually try to come into the house. Oh boy , she barks, will not listen, jumps. She does not bite. So , I saw yesterday, a show where there was little dog that did a similar thing, and they just rang the door bell and taught the dog that if barks he doesnt get a treat. I feel we are going to need lots of treats to do this. :wink:
Also she does NOT act this way , away from the house. She is the picture of perfection everywhere eles.

So in comes our littlest pup. The breed on both our rescues are border collie mix's.

Oh boy does she want to play , nip, and absolutly drive our older dog bonkers. We take her out of the situation. We give her , her chew toys. Ive been told to let them go at each other. Is this correct? It scares me.

DawnStorm

Post by DawnStorm »

I would say yes because the older dog can teach the puppy a lot about how to behave. When I got Flanders, my second Dobe was still around and I left it up to him to teach (3 month old) Flanders how to behave herself. Jasper would snap/show teeth at her, but he never seriously hurt her.
I also made it a point to feed Jasper first, let him out first etc, to reinforce his seniority.
My current crew:
Bruce the Albino Dobe; Flanders the Belgian Malinut; Leela, Scuttlebutt, and Felix, da kitties.
All much-loved but not spoiled!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Supervise time together but do not interfere if older dog tells younger dog off with noise and air-snaps. Pup may scream blue murder but that's what they do.

If older dog grabs pup and shakes her, or snaps with intent to make contact do not correct older dog but separate them for 10 minutes then try again. Stay calm yourself because if you get stressy so will they.

Make sure older dog can get away from pup if she needs to, and has a safe place of her own where pup can't get to her at all.

Train pup separately, walk her separately, give older dog plenty of one-to-one time with you, otherwise you will have anarchy! This is a hectic time but it soon passes, though IMO dogs need some one-to-one time all their lives.