dogs on sofas

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

dog2

dogs on sofas

Post by dog2 »

Is it or is it not true that if your dog is allowed his bed on the sofa he will be more likely to think he is equal in the pack to you?
Horace's Mum

Re: dogs on sofas

Post by Horace's Mum »

It's nonsense :D Dogs are dogs, people are people, they are under no illusions about pack hierarchy. You do still need good manners though if you allow dogs on furniture - you should be able to ask them to leave if you want to and I also like to be able to say "not right now" if it's not convenient to have a dog sitting on me at that moment!!
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

No, because:

He isn't in a pack with you
He has no idea of being equal, superior or inferior to you because we are different species
He likes to be on the sofa because it is comfortable and because he can snuggle up to you

So for those who don't mind their dogs being on sofas - it's fine. And if you prefer your dog to be in its bed - that's fine too.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
dog2

Post by dog2 »

hi thanks for that what a relief!not having to say no all the time or put the ironing board(if i had one)on the sofa at night like i used to years ago with my cocker.what a waste of time that was if i had known!mind you he liked his bed and it was so cosy my grandson used to get in there too. :D just the hairs to deal with then. :roll:
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Yes, just the hair.. And if the dog is large enough - not having a place to sit ! :lol: :lol:
Suzette

Post by Suzette »

Ahh, yes the hair. I just keep a sheet about the same color as my sofa on the seat and back cushions when it's just the family around. When I have guests or other family members over, I pull up the sheet and have a fresh, hairless sofa for them to sit on! :D :D

Loved your picture Ari!!! :lol:
My avatar is Piper, my sweet Pembroke Corgi. b. 5/11/11
ladybug1802

Post by ladybug1802 »

Dylan comes up for cuddles on my bed, but when I ask him.....and the reason its only when i ask has nothing to do with pack theory and all that rubbish (obviously!) but just because my bedlinen is red and Dylan is tan and I like to try and avoid little tan hairs all over my dark red duvet cover...so i need time to pick up his sheet and cover 'his' side of the bed with it! :D

He doesnt go on my sofa because it is black leather and I would rather he didnt....but he does have a massive comfy squishy bed AND his crate with comfy bedding in AND another comfy bed upstairs, so he has no shortage!!
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

Ari_RR wrote:Yes, just the hair.. And if the dog is large enough - not having a place to sit ! :lol: :lol:
Wait, are you saying you didn't by Ari his own sofa? that he has to share?
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

A Ridgeback share a sofa?

JudyN

Post by JudyN »

The question is, should humans be allowed on the sofa?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've noticed that when Jasper wasn't allowed on the sofa at all (and didn't even sneak on when we weren't there), he would go on it if stressed. When we were on holiday, on the last day we OH and I had a bit of a barney over packing and when I turned round, Jasper was on the sofa. If visitors some to the house he sometimes tries to get on the sofa because he can find it a bit unsettling.

I don't allow him on the sofa with me because apart from the obvious lack of space, when I did used to let him up he'd get extremely snarky if I just shuffled a bit when he was nicely settled sprawled all over me. He's much mellower now but I still feel he might object. With all those long limbs he's not the sort of dog who can easily shuffle into a new position - if he wants to rearrange himself a lot of clambering round tends to be involved :lol:
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

JudyN wrote:The question is, should humans be allowed on the sofa?

Jack says ...... maybe :lol:
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

jacksdad wrote:
JudyN wrote:The question is, should humans be allowed on the sofa?
Jack says ...... maybe :lol:

Ted says ..... Yeah they can arrange themselves around me :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
Erica

Post by Erica »

Marble says that the best part of sofas is being near the people so yes, they are allowed on. :)

Zeus says as long as he doesn't have to move, it's okay. ;)
Delta, standard poodle, born 6/30/14
minkee

Post by minkee »

Sometimes, just sometimes, the dogs ARE the sofas. And Pod says yes, cats are allowed on them too.

dog2

Post by dog2 »

LOVE these photos wish i knew how to add one of my own have tried but not happening...