New here..Need Help Quickly with new Pup.

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Brook

New here..Need Help Quickly with new Pup.

Post by Brook »

Brook

Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 1:39 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I recently posted this on the Introduction thread, but I thought I might would get more of a reply if I just start this new thread.
Thanks..

Hi Everyone, I am New here.
I live in Virgina in the United States and I used to have 4 dogs. Our two oldest dogs, that lived to be about 14 and 15 years old have passed on. Now, we only had the two other female Golden/Lab mix pets that we love so much.
About a month ago we just aquired a beautiful black golden/lab mixed male, and he is 10 weeks old now. His name is Smokey.

One of the females name is Sandy, and she is 12 years old. The other female's name is Star, and she is 10 years old.

OK, here is my problem, Its been a very long time since I have had a baby pup, and when we got him the man thought at that time that Smokey was 8 weeks old, but he wasn't. We found that out later, when we questiioned the mans wife. It turned out that Smokey was actually 6 weeks old.
I was afraid to let him be introduced to our girls at such a young age, so we kept him secured in the bathroom with a baby gate, so the girls could see him, and smell him. I even put him on my lap sometimes for the girls to investigate him.
But, other than that I would keep him secured when the girls were out, and I would put the girls up when I would let him out of the bathroom.
It has worked out fine that way, so we could let him get a little older.

Now, he is 10 weeks old, like I said, and I believe this is a good time to start the introduction. I know that I should probably let him being with the girls one at a time, but I also would like suggestions on how to do this the proper way for both the Smokey and my older dog.
Any help for me Please..

Thanks,
Brook
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Hiya, I've moved your post over to the Methods section as its more appropriate here.

Really.. you should have let pup mix with adults (supervised of course) from day one, and if you are not sure if your elderly bitches will like a puppy.. really you should have figured that out before getting one.

Anyway - whats done is done.

I would intro pup with both adult dogs together, start as you mean to go on.

However I would make sure there are two adults present, and pup is not just plonked down in the middle of the room and left to get on with it.

Instead, sit on the floor near the edge of the room, as far away from your adult dogs favourite cosy spots as possible and let pup cuddle/play/sleep on you (have toys and treats).

Let adult dogs come over and investigate and to a certain degree.. let puppy investigate back.

Now heres where you have to be careful - your pup has missed out on around 4 weeks of crucial learning, learning how to be a dog and how to interact with adult dogs.

There is a fine line to tread between letting things go too far... and stepping in too soon. Puppy HAS to learn how to behave around the adults, and he is going to learn that quickest and best from the adult dogs, not you.

You must not let him completely harrass them though, they are old ladies now - you dont let a toddler push Grandma over and bash her with his toy truck do you!

If they seem to be fine handling his antics, thats ok (ill define 'fine' shortly). If not, remove him. Distract him with something else preferably before you see him over stepping the mark.

IF you need to give him a consequence for inappropriate behaviour, you do this by removing the thing he wants... so if its chewing on Grandmas ears.. you remove him from Grandma and give him a time out.

You do not shout, scruff pin or smack him. He will merely learn you are a horrid person.

Now... how do you tell if your adult dogs are coping fine... or are hating the furry little intruder?

Read their body language.

Lying in a cosy place, idley letting a pup climb on them, chew ears, legs, tails. This is ok.

Freezing and making a face at puppy (lip curl). This is acceptable. Dog is saying 'erm... No!'

Gently taking hold of puppys head/face in mouth and holding it there is also ok (firmer 'no') (can also be a game between similar age dogs).

Air snapping and nipping (with or without a variety of 'grr'). Also acceptable IF your dog is not making contact hard.

It is important to note here, a puppy who is snapped at WILL scream as if a leg has been removed. This is a defence mechanism so that no oen REALLY kills the puppy, in fact they havent been touched and are not hurt at all, just shocked they have been firmly told off.

Also sitting on and heavy paws 'squashing' a puppy is ok (though clearly a large clumsy dog actually flattening a pup accidentally is not, i mean in the course of normal interactions 'ok you are annoying... i will sit on your head' - thats fine).

Actually biting, shaking, pinning down upside down by the neck and ignoring a puppies screams... all bad.

A dog who leaves the room and avoids a puppy like it is THE plague is also not happy with pups presence and should NOT be forced to tolerate it in any way (this is the adult dog who will break the rules and hurt a puppy).

You must step in before your pup seriously harrasses the adults - as I said, they are old ladies and its not fair to subject them to a youngsters boisterousness.

If your dogs are not happy and try to avoid all interaction with the pup you have lots of work to do. YOu need to persuade them that being anywhere near the puppy (starting within sight of him, then in the same room, then closer and closer) is VERY rewarding, lots and lots of fuss and praise for them when they are accepting of pups presence.

If pup is over stepping the mark and the adults are clearly not enjoying it or wanting to be left alone, use the time out method to get pup to stop.

Simply remove him to another room for ONLY as long as it takes him to achieve a slightly calmer frame of mind. Shouldnt take more than a few minutes.

If its long enough for pup to fall asleep, hes forgotten why it happened.

At first you may find you spend every minute of the day putting the pup in a time out, and then putting him back, but you must keep it up, he WILL learn if you are consistant.

Finally.. feed him on his own, and make sure the older dogs do not miss out on their normal routine too much.
Brook

Post by Brook »

Emmabeth, thank you very much for replying to my post, and thank you for moving my thread to the right place. Being new here I wasn't sure where to post my thread.
Also, I sure wish I had found Victoria's web site forum sooner than I did to know what to do, but thats behind us now, and I have to move onward. I was really worried about putting Smokey down on the floor with the girls at such a young age, but I see I should have done so. Hopefully now, though he will learn his right place in the pack.

Because I was afraid to wait any longer, I did finally introduce him to One of our girls, Star this afternoon. I was more worried about Star, because she is the more dominant one, but since I have been watching Victoria's show, I have been working on letting Star know that She is not the Alpha dog, I AM..
She is very friendly, lovable, but she sometimes would go after Sandy for no reason. But, this type of action from her is very far and inbetween. Meaning months can go by and Star will not go after Sandy, and then for some reason, Star will just attack at Sandy's neck. Honeslly, we don't know why or what causes it.

So, with that said, I was afraid to let Smokey and Star and Sandy be together on the floor at the same time. I wasn't sure how Star would act.
In any case, when I did let Smokey be with Star, we took it slowly. I held Smokey in my lap, and let Star smell him, and investigate him, and then we put Smokey on the floor with her. My husband was holding Star's collar, but I told him No, don't do that.

I put Smokey on a leash at first, so I could quickly get him away from Star if he started bothering her too bad, but I was totally amazed at how gentle, and patient Star was with him. I took Smokey's leash off of him, and my husband I just watched the two of them and giving Star lots, and lots of praise. Telling her how good she was being. We were so proud of Star.
We watched them for a good while, and Star would even try to start playing with him. We let them be together for about 45 min. at first, then we could tell that was enough. We would not let Smokey constantly bother Star when she didn't want to be bothered. We picked Smokey up and put him back in the bathroom, and he must have been tired, and went to his bed and fell asleep.
I must say for our first time, we were very happy.
Also, later this evening we put him with Star again.
Now, tomorrow we want to try him with Sandy, and see how she reacts to him. If everything works out, then we will let him be with the both girls.
Thanks for all your advice. It is greatly appreciated.
snoopysnelling

Post by snoopysnelling »

I forgot about the sitting on the head. My oldest did that to bruiser. It was very funny...to see his hinney sticking out and blackie sitting there like...now thats better. Pretty pleased with himself. Ok...I have introduced a variety of new puppies to our crew. We have rescued and fostered homeless dogs. Anyway you got good advice from Em. Your dogs are a part of your family"pack". You are the boss and they should be ok with the new addition. Be sure to play,pet and praise your older dogs. I noticed that mine were more grouchy when the puppy got all the attention. You might be suprised at their response to the little puppy. The mother hen might come out. Blackie , my oldest, has always been a mother hen, although he is a male.
Have the dogs showed any distress at having the puppy in the bathroom? Any growling? Have they come to you and pestered you when the puppy was crying? Have you noticed any behavior that is different? Do they go to the bathroom to see the puppy?
To see why he is crying? You can better believe while you are out he cries...alot.
I hope I helped. Basically you know your dogs and their temperment. Just remember from Em's post about acceptable behavior from your older dogs, they are older and might be grouchy. Don't forget to put away anything you do not want chewed. Good luck. :P
Brook

Post by Brook »

snoopysnelling wrote:I forgot about the sitting on the head. My oldest did that to bruiser. It was very funny...to see his hinney sticking out and blackie sitting there like...now thats better. Pretty pleased with himself. Ok...I have introduced a variety of new puppies to our crew. We have rescued and fostered homeless dogs. Anyway you got good advice from Em. Your dogs are a part of your family"pack". You are the boss and they should be ok with the new addition. Be sure to play,pet and praise your older dogs. I noticed that mine were more grouchy when the puppy got all the attention. You might be suprised at their response to the little puppy. The mother hen might come out. Blackie , my oldest, has always been a mother hen, although he is a male.
Have the dogs showed any distress at having the puppy in the bathroom? Any growling? Have they come to you and pestered you when the puppy was crying? Have you noticed any behavior that is different? Do they go to the bathroom to see the puppy?
To see why he is crying? You can better believe while you are out he cries...alot.
I hope I helped. Basically you know your dogs and their temperment. Just remember from Em's post about acceptable behavior from your older dogs, they are older and might be grouchy. Don't forget to put away anything you do not want chewed. Good luck. :P
That was funny about what you were talking about with Blackie sitting on the puppy..LOL
Yes, I make sure that I am playing with my girls as well, so they won't get jealous over the attention he is getting. Right now, we play catch with the ball outside, but I haven't tried to play with any of them while I am doing the introduction.
No, the girls have not growled at him when he was in the bathroom. No, they have not pestered me about him. They mainly go about their own busines.
During the time when I had the girls put up when he was out, I would reward them as soon as I put Smokey back in the bathroom, and then give them plenty of attention, so they learned now, that if he wakes up and starts crying the girls go straight to the bedroom and lay down on the floor. They have been really good through all of this.
I am a stay at home grandmother, so I do not leave the house much at all, and I made sure that if I left to go to the store, it would be after we had let him out, played with him, and it was time for him to go back in his area and go to sleep. I am hardly away from any of my dogs.
Yes, I will remember. I haven't forgotten all things about pups and training them or how to react so the pup won't bother the older dogs.
I just couldn't remember the right way to introduce a pup to my older dogs. I sure appreciate all the help.
Thanks
Brook

Post by Brook »

EM, I need your advice again please on exactly the right way to handle this situation that I am going to tell you about.
First, Star and Smokey are getting along fine so far, and she is playing with him, while I supervise them. She has not been rough with him at all. He has not cried out, nothing. I am please about that, and I just hope the bond will continue. I let Smokey stay out with her about an hour each time, but then I put him up so he won't tire her out.

Now, the situation is this. Where I thought Star would be my problem, and so far she has shown that is not the case, I think I may have the problem with Sandy. She does not seem to be as tolerant as Star is showing. She keeps walking away from him, and even gave a small growl to him, even though the entire time I keep praising her, and giving her small treats from my pocket while I am standing close by the two of them. She doesn't seem to want to sniff him like Star did, except for when he was in my lap. I didn't want to force him on her, so I finally put him up.

I truly want all of them to get along, not just Star and Smokey. What steps do I take slowly to get Sandy to get used to Smokey, and hopefully get along with him. I know it will be a long, progress and with lots of patience, but I am willing to do what I need to do to get them to be friends.
Thanks, waiting for your reply.
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

Leave her be - if she can tell him 'go away' and remove herself from where he is, and still has somewhere to go and lie down, so shes not stressing or sat somewhere uncomfy, then thats fine.

Its only not fine when it upsets her massively or she has no where comfy to go, or pup is never popped in a crate for a little while so she can have some 'me time'.

I do think you need to have pupster out for more than an hour at a time - how is toilet training coming on if he's shut in the bathroom most of the time?

Basically, every minute he spends alone in another room is a minute wasted, that he could be learning how to be a lovely dog. The learning pups do at his age is SO much faster and more effective than at any other.

I would, if you havent already, invest in a crate/.indoor kennel which you can have in a room where you and the other dogs spend most of your time. This way he can be popped away for sleeps to give the older dogs a break, but still be there with you, much more so than if hes shut in the bathroom.
Brook

Post by Brook »

No, I haven't gotten a crate yet, but its next on my list. I am looking for one that I can afford right now.
But, we have a small house, and Smokey is right where the girls can see him, smell him, but yet where he and they are safe. I swear, I never had this problem when I brought Star here when she was a puppy. Yep, I had to watch things but not to this extent.
You were talking about leaving Sandy alone as long as she could tell him to go away, or she walks away from him. I understand that, but everytime she walks away, he follows her, and jumps at her, so I have no choice but to take him away, especially if she starts to growl at him, because she looks like she would jump him. I was just trying to be careful, but if that is wrong, then just let me know.

Smokey is not cooped up in the bathroom as much as you might think. I am constantly taking him out and when he does stay in there its when he normally is tired and wants to go to sleep. While that is happening, I let the girls out, and play with them, or let them just lay down and not be bothered.
As for his house training, he has basically house trained himself since day one, because we constantly took him out. He learned quick to go to the door where we can see him to let us know he wants out. He has only had one accident on the floor since we got him. I am proud to say that.

We had an incident to happen last night, and with Star. I made a mistake by not reading the right signs soon enough I guess. It was about 9:00pm, and we had let Smokey be out with Star, and all was well, then my husband stepped outside to talk to a friend of his.
I was sitting on the couch, and Star was laying on the opposite side of the couch. Smokey was playing, and would try to go after her feet. Everything was fine, then I noticed that she had a frozen face, lip curled where you could see her teeth, but I thought you said that was ok.

Well, the next thing I knew Star jumped off the couch, and grabbed Smokey by the back of the neck, and got him, but good. I moved very quickly and got Star off of him, and held her collar away from him, and also was trying to get Smokey. He let out this blood screaming cry, and it scared me so bad. I thought, OH NO, Star has reallly hurt him. Please, I hope she hasn't.
My husband ran in, grabbed Star's collar and made her go to the bedroom, while she growled at him, but let him put her in the room.
I then was tending to Smokey trying to calm him down to make sure he wasn't hurt bad.

Once he had calmed down, I noticed he looked fine, and there was no blood, or open wounds, and he walked around as if he was totally fine.
I tell you, I was so upset, and frightened at that time.
This morning Smokey is still fine, and I made up my mind I was not going to let Smokey be out with Star until I had my husband or somebody be with me, in case something like that happened again.
It sure was a Very scary scene.
Whats your advice? Thanks
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

That is ok, growling, showing teeth, shes saying 'i dont like it, i warn you to stop'.

He didnt listen so she grabbed him - now where its NOT ok is if she actually physically harms him, and as I don't know her, I cannot say if she will or she wont.

The fact that despite all his screaming, he had no wound at all, suggests to me that she had no intention of hurting him, just pushing the point that 'no means no' across.

In all honesty, because I know my dogs very well I would not have stepped in, however you do have to do what you feel is right.

Do NOT punish her though for telling him off, she is in the right, he was being a pest and he was ignoring her.

If he learns that growls, lip curls etc are swiftly followed by being 'got', he will stop.

If he learns that you will always step in, he wont.

If SHE learns that puppy being told off means her getting a telling off, she is going to like the puppy even less!
Brook

Post by Brook »

Oh, ok. Well, I thought I knew my girls, but in all honesty, we have never had a puppy around with the girls at all, so I don't really know if either one of them would hurt him physcially or not, and gosh knows, I surely don't want that.
The reason that I stepped in is because I thought she would grab him and bite him, then releast him, but she didn't seem to be going to do that. Instead, I saw her shaking her head after she grabbed whole of him. I didn't know if she was trying to break his neck or not.

I will remember what you said though about not punishing her for telling him off. We will just grab her collar to get him off of him, and away.

I will be so darn glad when all of this part is over with, and we get them all together happily. I am not sure how long this will take. Honestly, I know what to do when everyone is getting along, and all I got to do is the training part. I have never had a problem with that. Its just this beginning part with "THIS" new puppy.
I am so very greatful to you for all your advice, and I hope I am not taking up all your time asking for the advice, its just that I have never had to deal with this before. Not even when Star came into the family.
I hope I can continue to ask for your help if needed.
Thanks again.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

Brook wrote: I am so very greatful to you for all your advice, and I hope I am not taking up all your time asking for the advice, its just that I have never had to deal with this before. Not even when Star came into the family.
I hope I can continue to ask for your help if needed.
Thanks again.
If we were bothered about you asking questions we wouldn't be here Brook so ask away. Unlike many dog owners you are trying to do your best for your dogs by asking, to many plod along in their own little world and think dogs train themselves. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Brook

Post by Brook »

Thank you very much Mattie.
Yes, I am trying really hard to do what is right by my dogs in every way. I just want peace again in my family. I just want to get through this intial stage of introduction to where all dogs can get along together.

I have to agree with you that some owners of dogs, or any kind of pet just do not even try to do what is right by their pets. That really gets my blood pressure up.