shock collar

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

ladybug1802

Re: shock collar

Post by ladybug1802 »

I cant abide these things....and even though to us the lowest settings seem notrhing more than a tingle (yes I HAVE tried such a collar on my skin) and not 'pain' as such, to a sensitive or anxious dog, this simple surprising sensation will be enough to scare the dog and cause more issues. It more often than not wont know why it has received that feeling (tingle/shock whatever) because it wont be clear to it....and if, for example, the dog looks at a walker while getting that shock, it is likely it will associate people with that feeling, and make it fear reactive to people.
So Steve156.....yes the lowe settings are not as 'severely painful' as the higher ones, but its a sensation that is alien to the dog nonetheless and will cause just the same amoutn of fear.

But apart from anything else, why would anyone want to inflict that amount of pain on their dog to get it to 'comply'? I would much rather (and do do this) keep my dog on a long line or lead around cattle/sheep or in an area I dont want him to run off.

I have tried the collar on my wrist a long time ago (a friend of a friend had one which she used to stop her dog running off....dont get me started on that one!) and I managed to get up to level 5 if I remember rightly? And there were a good few more levels above that.

And all you have to do is see the many cases and images showing damage to dogs necks and burnt off fur on dogs who have had these collars used on them to know they are in no way humane. Awful awful things.
Steve156

Post by Steve156 »

b) The times I have problems is when my dog 'loses it'. Now, he's a lurcher, renowned for high prey drive, and when he takes off after a deer it would be lovely to be able to stop him. Yet a lurcher chasing a deer can rip his skin off on a barbed wire fence and not notice (despite the fact that lurchers have very low pain threshold!). When he comes back to you, skin hanging off and blood pouring out, you'd better put him on a lead because if he spots another deer he'll be off again. So just how high would you you turn the settings on the shock collar to deter him?
I know exactly what you mean, I have 2 ex-racing greyhounds and when they "Lose it" as you put it there is no stopping them. There is no aggression in them but the chase instinct is unbelievably strong. I never let them off lead unless they are in an enclosed space. Luckily we have a few places nearby that they can be let off to stretch their legs as it were. They also do come back when called most of the time but there are those occasions when it seems a switch goes off in their heads and there is no getting through to them. Fantastic dogs though, brilliant temperament, I love em to bits.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

runlikethewind wrote: 9) If they were acceptable, why do some trainers feel the need to hide them under neck scarves?
or re brand as "ecollars"?
Flyby

Post by Flyby »

Just to make a distinction too with what I said - My sympathy towards people who are misguided and use shock collars because they don't know any better is altogether different from my attitude towards the industry which manufactures and sells these products. They must know these products cause a massive amount of distress to animals but keep selling them regardless.

It's like smoking. I may be anti smoking, but I'm not anti smoker.

Education, constructive guidance, and patience is the answer. Sadly until we get there and shock collars are banned or become so unpopular they become uneconomic to manufacture, a lot of people are going to inflict needless pain on their animals believing it's their only option.
JudyN

Post by JudyN »

Of course, if you are going to use a shock collar, it's vital you know how to use it properly... : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTSfdnyBuas&sns=fb
Last edited by JudyN on Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
ClareMarsh

Post by ClareMarsh »

:lol: :lol: :lol: as brilliant as I was hoping :D
Proud owner of Ted and baby Ella
My blog about Ted http://tinkerwolf.com/
Ted's Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/Tinkerwolf
Ted's You Tube Channel http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTedVids
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I like.
easilyconfused

Post by easilyconfused »

Don't worry about the collar feeling any pain. On the lowest setting a sledgehammer will feel like a "gentle vibration" to your e-collar.
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

I cracked up when I read that.
Sarah83

Post by Sarah83 »

I admit, I looked into shock collars for Ruperts love of sheep worrying when I found out we were going to be living practically on top of sheep. I don't like them but I disliked the thought of my dog being shot and killed even more. Had I decided to go through with using one I would have gone into it knowing I was going to cause my dog pain, something many ecollar users seem to be in denial about. As it was the few trainers I trusted to tell me the truth said that given his history of sheep worrying and killing other animals it was highly unlikely to stop him so I never bothered trying it. Rupert was leashed or crated whenever a door leading to outside was opened while we lived there. I rigged up a tie out for him so he could be outside in the nice weather (does happen occasionally in Ireland :lol: ) without being able to get at the sheep. Or the chickens. And I lived in fear of him getting out of the house because I can guarantee he'd have gone straight for the sheep. I was even worried about having the windows open in case he jumped out!