New excessive barking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Carmel4895

New excessive barking

Post by Carmel4895 »

Hi,
I have a 13 month old Maltese. Punkin is her name. She is highly sensitive to noises and will start barking when she hears them. The way I have been dealing with it is every time she starts barking I get to her as fast as I can and start a training play game. This distracts her from the noise and the same noise doesn't bother her at all the next time the noise starts. She no longer barks at the street sweeper, the gardener's power tools, Disneyland fireworks. We live one mile from Disneyland. Last night there was a horrendous car crash very close to our house. At the impact noise (and it was bad) and I didn't smell anything but she may have she started barking and growling, then the Disneyland fireworks started. She was just in a frenzy. I tried treats and training with no success, I put a thunder shirt on her. I tried holding her and put her in her bed.massaging her, Nothing worked.She was up and down most of the night. We go on 2 walks a day approximately 2 miles each walk. There are people we see on walks and her doggy friends this morning she kind of shied away from all of them. She has also been too as Patricia Mcconell puts it a cautious canine. I feed her from a treat ball and she did eat this morning. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to help her? She is a lot calmer now but has been barking a lot today. Much more than normal. I am trying to keep things as normal as they always are at our house. Is this just something she will have to get over and go on from there? She is sleeping now or at least resting because sounds are bothering her.
Thanks,
Melissa & Punkin