blind and deaf dog

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

snoopysnelling

blind and deaf dog

Post by snoopysnelling »

hello, I have a blind and deaf jack russell. He is around a year and a half. He is very small. Anyway, I am having a terrible time trying to potty train him. I also have 3 big dogs. Anyway if anyone can help give ideas on training him I would greatly appreciate it.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

The same priciples should work for a blind and deaf dog as for a normal dog but you have to find another way to reward. Does he like having behind his ears tickled or somewhere else?

Blind and deaf dogs pick up more than we think, if we clap our hands they pick up the change in the air, if we smile they can pick that up by the way we handle them etc.

I know a blind and deaf collie that does agility so you can do quite a lot with them. :lol:
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

You certainly like a challenge don't you :D

Three big dogs he can't see or hear, only smell and feel. Scary.

A new home and new people he can't see or hear, only smell or feel. Scary.

Put lead on him and lead him outside every hour, like you would a puppy. Reward the way he likes when he performs, as Mattie says.

Don't give him the run of the house but keep him in one room with his safe place to be, bed or crate and bed. He will have to learn the house room by room, and the way out into the garden from every room, and that will take time.

Walk him lots and let him enjoy the smells.

Good luck.

How are the other dogs with him?
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Mattie wrote: I know a blind and deaf collie that does agility so you can do quite a lot with them. :lol:
Wow!!! That's amazing! :D
snoopysnelling

blind and deaf dog

Post by snoopysnelling »

Thank you so much for your reply. Nugget is an awesome dog. I need to clarify that we have had him since Dec.2006. He was hardly bigger than my hand. In the beginning all he would do is sit with me. As time went on he got the lay of the land. I have to admit that I have babied him and spoiled him rotten...how could I not? poor thing....Anyway my female dog ..trouble...she immediately became mommy and she takes good care of him. Also, Bruiser is a good daddy. Even my cat plays with him. He has adapted very well. He knows all the rooms and can move around no problem...unless you move the furniture :( He can go up the deck steps...amazing :) Outside he knows the paths the other dogs have made and can find his way pretty good, although I rescue him before he needs it...especially when the wind is blowing. He can see light and I believe he can see some sort of shapes because when he wants to jump down from the couch he will move down to avoid jumping on a dog. Oh yeah he can jump on the couch too, and he does the same thing if my legs are in the way, he moves down until he thinks he can jump up. I really do not know how to train him to go potty outside. I have no idea how. I am completely ignorant about training dogs..I have only seen the show twice and learned wonderful ideas but how do you get his attention when he is blind and deaf? THANK YOU SO MUCH for any help you can give. :D
Ocelot0411

Post by Ocelot0411 »

Well for someone who is totally ignorant in training dogs, it sounds like you are doing pretty well to me!! its amazing what little Nugget can do and I am sure that you will be able to solve his potty training with a bit help. Good luck!
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

I am completely ignorant about training dogs..I have only seen the show twice and learned wonderful ideas but how do you get his attention when he is blind and deaf? THANK YOU SO MUCH for any help you can give. :D
To get Nuggett this far you are not ignorant about training dogs :lol:

House training a dog isn't difficult but does take lots of patience, which you have, and being really consistant.

Hopefully you will have worked out Nuggett's routine now for toileting, it will make it easier. Many older dogs are trained to be clean in the house so that won't be a problem.

Take him outside and stay with him so you know when he has been, then lots of praise, you will already have worked out how to praise him.

Take him out as soon as he wakes up, before and after he is fed, before and after a play session, and about every hour in between. He won't go every time, but lots of praise or a treat when he does.

If he can see a little, does he respond to light, I am thinking of a torch which could be used in place of a clicker.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
snoopysnelling

Post by snoopysnelling »

What do you mean by using a torch? When it is dark he can see light, that is all I know he can see. I have to admit that I have become frusturated and have kind of given up on the potty training thinking there is no hope. Yes I do take him out when he wakes up, etc. Other than that I really do not see a pattern. He has not been fixed so maybe he is marking, he sure does it outside.I also have food and water out so he has easy access. Maybe I should change that. I guess I should just start over...Also how would I let him know that I am not pleased? On the show they talk about (the look) and tone of voice...any ideas? I look forward to seeing your advice..it is exciting :lol: THANK YOU......... THANK YOU........ THANK YOU SO MUCH