fear of walking

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

2manypets

fear of walking

Post by 2manypets »

My two dogs are afraid of noises, cars (parked and moving, people and other dogs. When we walk if there is a parked car we make wide turns around them. If there are big trucks going by they are really afraid and pull to get away. They don't allow most people to approach them. I'm still walking them in hopes that they might adjust to the walks and settle down. Is there something that I should do to help them cope? We have made progress but I feel so sorry for them and want them to enjoy their walks. Any suggestions please.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Understand the concept of fear - it has no intellect to it - it is a raw emotion. To stop your dogs being fearful, you need to be a safe place. This starts with walking them separately so they HAVE to react to you and not each other.

With the parked vehicles - sensible dogs - get between the dog and the vehicle and give them all the space they want. If they feel safe five feet from the vehicle, then give them that, ten feet, give them that. Gradually reduce the distance.

Not surprising your dogs don't want to accept strange people. Do the same re: distance and don't let strangers get in the dog's space. And strange dogs. Give your dogs space and get between them and the fearful thing. Gradually reduce the distance.

How long have you had these dogs, what breeds are they and how old are they?
2manypets

Post by 2manypets »

I have two girls (sisters) they are a mixed breed. Lab- Amer bull terrier, we think, about 50 lbs. They are almost 2yrs. We adapted them from a Vet school. Before we got them they didn't show any of these traits there at the school. Loved people and enjoyed being out of those cages. They have gone to puppy school and were getting better around small dogs but still needed control around larger ones. Thank you for your advise and if you or anyone else have more suggestions that would be great.
Mattie

Post by Mattie »

How old were they when you adopted them?

If you adopted them from vet school, they could be used to people but not to outside noises etc, depends on if they were taken out much when there.
[url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/PIXIE.jpg][img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v312/Nethertumbleweed/th_PIXIE.jpg[/img][/url]
2manypets

Post by 2manypets »

Sorry I didn't answer that did I. They were 9 months old. I'm at the stage now that they are finally interested in rewards. But when they are afraid they will refuse any treats. So I'm giving them positive and calm approach