Dog urinating in house overnight - help!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

KathyC

Dog urinating in house overnight - help!

Post by KathyC »

I have a 3 year old Lhasa Apso. I got him when he was 2 from a breeder who unfortunately had no further use for him. He was fully housetrained, lead trained etc, he was absolutely perfect.

However, back in February I had to put him in a kennel overnight and since then I've had a problem with him leaving puddles in the kitchen overnight. I assumed he was a bit traumatised at being left in the kennel and so to try and break the habit, I started to leave him in my bedroom overnight where he did nothing at all. But I obviously don't want him in my bedroom at night and thought that as he appeared "clean" overnight, I would leave him in the kitchen again. But the puddles have started again. And last night he even did one while I was in the other room watching television.

It can't be anything medically as he's left during the day while I work and there is no mess whatsoever when I get home, or when I go to the shops or out for a few hours, its just at night. He has a long walk as soon as I get home, goes out frequently during the evening and always last thing before I go to bed. I've tried one of those repel sprays but that doesn't work.

I'm at my wits end now as even if I get up in the early hours, say 4.00am, the puddle is there. Please can anyone help or give me some advice as I really don't know what to do.
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

Despite your logical reasoning, it CAN be medical, so do get him checked out.

If he gets the all-clear, I think crate-training is the way to go until he feels more secure. Take him back to puppy days, tajke him outside and wait with him, then praise him when he does what you want. Nothing wrong with having him in his crate in your bedroom until he feels better.

But I honestly think it's some form of urinary infection.
KathyC

Post by KathyC »

Thanks for the reply. I spoke to the vet yesterday and from what I have explained to her, she is sure its a behavioural problem but has asked me to take a sample in to her to check it out.

In the meantime she told me to get some hot water and mix in biological washing powder and thoroughly scrub the area where he goes. Apparently the biological powder breaks down the enzymes and gets rid of the smell. The sprays that we use only disguise or mask the smell and the dog can still smell his scent.

I did this and scrubbed all the floor area and all around the skirtings under the kitchen units. I got up this morning to my first puddle free morning for weeks. I'm going to do the scrubbing for a few more days to make sure I get rid of all smells but hopefully the vet may have come up with the solution. Will keep you posted.
Dibbythedog

Post by Dibbythedog »

Is there any reason why he can't stay in your room at night? Many owners let their dogs stay ín the bedroom at night . My two do as well as my cat :lol:
Ali