dog beds

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

charlie

dog beds

Post by charlie »

can any-body recommend a dog bed that my 1yr old lab wont chew? charlie is on his 5th bed already, he's a great dog, recall is brill its just his lead training we're working on just now!, i only work part-time so he is only left for 2hrs at the most in the morning, the longest he is left is at night time, he sleeps in the kitchen, i dont want to start taking him upstairs with us for 2 reasons, 1, he would end up in my 2yrs bed and 2, we're due another baby in 3months time, he is left with toys to play with which we change so he wont get bored,my OH half refuses to buy a new bed til this stops so charlie only has a couple of blankets! which he has started chewing
he has also started stealing things off the kitchen work top, food, tea-towels (which are his fav) ect, just the other day he stole a lasagne that i had left cooling and shredded a newspaper i had left,
do you think its bordom? i have thought about leaving him to had the run of the livingroom and the kitchen but a bit worried what he would do!
does any-1 have any ideas?
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

It could well be that its just fun to chew things like his blanket. Or, it could be that he doesnt like being left, a sign of anxiety.

Stealing food though, thats an easy one. He steals food because he is a dog,and does not understand the human silliness of leaving food you DO want, just not yet.. lying around.

So... I would try him with access to more places, it maybe that this settles him. If you do try this, then put away everything you can that you dont want chewed.

Stopping the food stealing is easier.. put the food away where he cannot reach.

Have you tried him with toys that dispense food as they are chewed/licked? such as the Kong range?
MEL AND ZULU

Post by MEL AND ZULU »

Hi

Try Orvis beds, they seem to get great reviews. And claim to be chewproof to the point they offer great guarantee's with them, money or instant replacements. :lol: :lol: :lol:

http://www.orvis.co.uk/store/product_di ... %5Fid=7395

Good luck!
Bingles

Post by Bingles »

i'll be checking that out myself bingles has just about finished eating her bed
beagler

Post by beagler »

Mmm
doesn't look chew proof to me!! Wouldn't withstand a Beagle, that's for sure! :lol: I tried a "chewproof" Tuffie bed and that got mangled, so I use the oval hard plastic beds with lots of blankets in them (they are full of holes) but the bed is ok!! I have been looking for a square plastic bed but can't find one anywhere!!