Advice on whistle training my fox terrier puppy

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

katej215

Advice on whistle training my fox terrier puppy

Post by katej215 »

Hi,

I have a 5 month old wire fox terrier puppy. She is very food motivated, so picked up basic recall training at home and then outdoors very quickly, so i started letting her off the lead in parks and on the beach and at the same time i started also started to whistle train her (giving her a super treat -like cheese each time she comes back to the whistle). The whistle training has worked like a dream and my puppy come flying back to me every time. However I have noticed over the last week she is getting bolder and bolder - so she will come back for her cheese, then bolts back to doing what she was doing before. Yesterday I saw her start to run towards a couple walking along the beach - i whistled her back twice - giving her a treat each time, then she bolted back up the beach for the third time -- i waited to see how far she'd go because they were miles away by then, but she just kept going until i whistled her back and put her on the lead.

I have tried taking a squeaky toy with me to distract her after she has had the treat but she is not always interested. Do i start to put her on the lead when she comes back? will she not start to see the whistle as a punitive measure and not come back at all? She is such a smart puppy, and know that we have some challenging months ahead - so dont want t make the problem worse. I would be grateful for some advice please!
JudyN

Re: Advice on whistle training my fox terrier puppy

Post by JudyN »

I'm not an expert, but I'd suggest the following:

A few times a walk, whistle her back to you when there are no distractions, put the lead on, reward her, and let her straight off lead again to go and play. That way, she doesn't associate coming back or going on the lead with the end of fun. At the end of the walk, try to go to her rather than whistle her back, again so she doesn't think the whistle means the end of fun.

She's doing really well - if she does start deciding that playing is more fun than cheese and won't always come back, avoid whistling for her if you think she's likely to ignore it (unless you really need to get her away from whatever she's up to) and carry on aiming for 100% recall in less distracting situations.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
bendog

Post by bendog »

Yep, I'd agree with Judy.

Each time you call her back, continue with the treats but sometimes just give the treat and let her go play again, sometimes touch the collar/harness as if putting the lead on, then let her go and play. Sometimes put the lead on and take it straight off, sometimes put the lead on, walk for 2 or 3 steps and then take it off. When wanting to put the lead on it can help to give a chewy/crunchy treat that takes a couple more seconds to eat so that you have time to actually get it on - especially as puppies tend to become wriggly when they want to be off exploring!

I tend to put the lead in a bag when I walk mine and had the problem for a little while where they'd come back brilliantly EXCEPT if they saw I had the lead in my hand! So mixing it up a bit should really help.
minkee

Post by minkee »

This is almost exactly how my Patterdale puppy acted on the beach - growing bolder and bolder at running off - 'rubber banding' back and forth between me and whatever she found interesting - and eventually deciding that some things were more exciting than coming back in the end. She was okay up unto a point - but then I could see her eyes sort of glaze over, and she was consumed with excitement and unable to pay attention to anything else. You want to try and not let her get that far, because you've been doing brilliantly so far, it would be a shame to have your recall ruined :)

Firstly, I'd recommend making sure that grabbing onto the collar or harness is part of the recall. This will stop her from doing her 'duty' as far as she sees it - coming back - but then immediately zooming off again before you can get a hold of her. So one peep on the whistle will mean 'You must come back and let me touch your harness' - and that gets her an amazing treat.

Secondly, I'd recommend employing a good harness and a long lead. You can leave the long lead trailing, but it gives you that little bit more flexibility if your pup decides she doesn't want to be 'caught'.

Lastly, I'd say you want to become more engaging to your pup. There are tons of interesting things out there in the world, and while it's great that she goes out to explore it, you don't want to become dull in comparison! So mix up running around like a mad thing, with some walking next to you, some ball games, some tug, some squeaky toys, some trick training with treats.... you know what is most interesting to your pup, so try and put it to good use so that being near you is a fun place to be!
katej215

Post by katej215 »

Thank you so much for the grt advice. What a fantastic forum - great to have access to such a support network of knowledgeable people who all share a passion for dogs!!posting.php?mode=reply&f=4&t=13796#