Sleeping in the bed...

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

easilyconfused

Re: Sleeping in the bed...

Post by easilyconfused »

I wouldn't try to "wean" them off the bed. Its either allowed or isn't. Other wise they will check everyday to see if it's allowed or not and you'll take far longer getting the message through.
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

To all who are interested, last night we set up their beds on the floor and spent about 30 minutes putting Neo back on her bed after she jumped on ours. Abby came over to our bed and whined and gave us the saddest eyes I've ever seen, then went over to her bed and flopped down. Eventually Neo curled up next to her and I heard the sweet sound of two snoring doggies not in my bed....

...and somehow those (big) little sneaks turned on their Jedi powers and snuck up onto the bed without me waking up. This morning I woke up to fiancee on the floor and two dogs in the bed. :roll: I know this sounds hard to believe that I couldn't feel a hundred pounds of dog getting onto my bed, but I am a very heavy sleeper, so unfortunately they did not get corrected when they jumped onto the bed (fiancee probably just thought it would be easier to move himself to the floor and let the girls sleep in the bed).

But, I do feel confident that we had a small success last night with them at least falling asleep on their own beds. I know that last night wasn't the best that we could do, and we need to be 100% consistent about not getting up onto the bed at all, no matter what time it is, but is it bad that I feel significantly more optimistic than I did yesterday?? :D
minkee

Post by minkee »

:lol: This is exactly what Scout did! I think so long as they get the message that they have to go to their own bed to sleep, it's fine. If they manage to sneak in without either of you noticing - well, it's causing no harm and well done them :lol:

If they do wake you up then just send them back again. If they don't, they deserve it I reckon for being the biggest stealthy sleep ninja around :D

A really good start, in my opinion :)
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

Lost cause in my opinion :lol: :lol: they are way too sneaky :lol:
But keep working on it, where there is will, there must be a way...
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

These two have their own language, I swear..."Let's lay here for awhile until they fall asleep..." They snored and everything!! :lol:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd3 ... AG0393.jpg

This was about a month ago I think. See how much room is left for me?! :roll:
jacksdad

Post by jacksdad »

this would be much easier to solve if you just get your self a couple of "California" King size beds, push them together, presto...everyone has room :mrgreen:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

jacksdad wrote:this would be much easier to solve if you just get your self a couple of "California" King size beds, push them together, presto...everyone has room :mrgreen:
That would be awesome!! Jacksdad, should I take this as an offer for the first donation to the California King Bed Fund? :lol:
abbyneo

Post by abbyneo »

Update: Neo kept fiancee up last night (apparently) by getting up into the bed every time he fell asleep..but he was consistent and put her back in her bed each time. Now at least we've got them sleeping in their own beds AT bedtime..Neo is still sneaking into the bed, but now it's much easier for us to actually fall asleep if they aren't laying on our legs. Thanks so much for your suggestions and support. I know this can't be considered 100% victory, but we're getting somewhere!