6m Lab wants to play with everyone!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

squidlycid

6m Lab wants to play with everyone!

Post by squidlycid »

Hello, I have a six month old Lab/Dalmation cross. He wants to play with every dog we meet,even if the other dog is not interested.
I have trouble getting him to listen to me and leave them.It is the same on or off the lead.
He normally recalls fine and he knows what "Leave" means,but it is embarressing as he will jump up at random people wanting to play.
Any ideas?
Ari_RR

Re: 6m Lab wants to play with everyone!

Post by Ari_RR »

Yes.. We had this with Ari, as many others did I am sure..
Jumping on people - that's an easy one to correct, I think, because you can do this at home. Here is what worked for us: every time he jumped on anyone - everyone would just leave the room for a minute. No words, no explanations to him, everyone just leaves, and every single time he jumps, no exceptions. Took just 1 day for him to get the message. It was a weird day, full of getting up, leaving in silence, then coming back.. But it fixed the issue. Every now and then, very rarely, he may still jump when excited, and then then the same thing happens - everyone leaves. if this happens outdoors - we turn away and freeze, not looking at him, arms crossed...

If we have guests over, we let them know this may happen, so they are aware and ready to get up and leave the room if he jumps on anyone... But it almost never happens now.

Forcing other dogs to play with him - that's a lot more difficult for us to take care of.. With Ari, this comes down to following him around the dog playground, ready to body block him when he becomes too pushy with others.
A little helpful tip here - if we take him for a walk before going to dog playground, he is a bit tired by the time we get there, less active, less pushy, and easier to follow.

Stay tuned, others will probably suggest something more meaningful that might work for your puppy.

Cheers
Eugene