Help! Advice Please!

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

Kenna.Mae

Help! Advice Please!

Post by Kenna.Mae »

I have a 5 year old bull terrier mixed with miniature doberman, Nova. When I first got her and throughout her whole life, we had been living at my parent's house where there were 4 other dogs and someone home constantly. The only problem that would occur at my parent's house is that she didn't get along with the other dogs and she would start a fight with one of them every time she saw her. May of 2010, I bought my own house and I just recently brought Nova over to my house in the beginning of August. When she first got here everything was perfectly fine. I'm living alone and I work 10 hours a day 4 days a week so I would let her stay inside. I bought her a puppy patch so she would be able to do her duty on so she wouldn't go inside on the carpet. However, within the past week - She has managed to not use the puppy patch and she is urinating on the carpet. Then, if I put her outside for even 5 minutes, she manages to tear at my stucco on the side of my house. I have a hole now in the stucco that I have to get repaired. She also constantly jumps up, which has been a continual problem, but that is definitely not as big as the others. I have no idea what to do with her and how to make it so she doesn't stop acting out like this. I've tried punishing her when she is caught in the act of ripping apart my stucco, but she just sits there and wags her tail as if she hadn't done anything wrong, so apparently that's not the way to go about it. I understand that she may be starting to feel more alone now, but there isn't any way I could even bring another dog in with her because she is too aggressive towards other dogs. I even have to put a muzzle on her when I take her out on walks.

If anyone has any advice on what I could do to help stop her from what she is doing that would be great!
Ari_RR

Re: Help! Advice Please!

Post by Ari_RR »

On the surface this seems to me a case of an underexercised, bored dog, who doesn't have enough physical activity or mental stimulation, based on your description of her staying indoors by herself most of the time. But if you could describe a typical Nova's day in more detail - it may be helpful for experts here to give their opinion/advise.

As for punishing her for perhaps trying to find her own way to entertain herself and to vent out the energy that's been accumulating inside her while she is home alone... A better way of dealing with this could be finding something for her to do while she is outside - taking her out for a walk, playing games with her.. Doing things together that are challenging and enjoyable. But this requires your time and commitment. If you don't have bandwidth because of a fairly busy work schedule, perhaps you could consider hiring someone (a professional dog walker) to at least take her our for a good walk while you are at work?

Her history of aggression towards other dogs, and having high energy breeds in the mix, probably indicate an extra need for training and attention. If you can commit your (or someone else's) time, then experts on this forum can help with what to do and how to do it. If not, then I am afraid this may only get worse. I don't think there will be a quick and easy solution..

Cheers
Eugene
emmabeth

Post by emmabeth »

10 Hours alone is really not acceptable or reasonable - you won't fix the house training issue there by just leaving a pad down for her to go on unfortunately.

So, hire someone to come in during the day, presuming you cannot get back in your own lunch break (and tbh, even if you CAN i would still have someone come in to break the day up more).

This won't come cheap but it will be better than having tohave carpets professionally cleaned or replaced (and there is only so much you can do to get urine out of carpets before they do need replacing).

The issue with her outside is because shes out there alone - go outside with her and play, train her, reward her for pottying outside, and you are going to see much better results.
West Midlands based 1-2-1 Training & Behaviour Canine Consultant
Kenna.Mae

Post by Kenna.Mae »

Thank you everyone I really appreciate your advice. My fiance is moving back to the state I live so he will be home with her, which will help. I will start walking her as well to see if that will help the situation!