Chew Toys

Share your favorite training tips, ideas and methods with other Positively members!

Moderators: emmabeth, BoardHost

countrymassage23

Chew Toys

Post by countrymassage23 »

Hello all!

My beagle/bluetick/jack russell mix recently went to the vet because he was throwing up at minimum once every night. Took him to the vet and they gave him some pills for his tummy and he seems to be doing better - however, the vet told me to keep him from chewing on rawhides or anything like that. He loved them :( especially the flavored ones. He wants nothing to do with the "nillabones" or the "dentabones" or anything like that. Can anyone suggest something I can give him to chew on (that way he doesn't decide to start chewing on my shoes or other important things)? If I give him toys with stuffing, he shreds them and ends up eating the stuffing which can't be good for his belly - even the "stuffingless" toys, he will rip the fur off them and eat that instead.

He also threw up again the other night - he never throws up during the day, it's always in the middle of the night....under my bed....I called them today and they said to try giving him 1 tablet of "tums" 30-60 mins before bed.

Advice would be great!
"If your ship doesn't come in, swim out to it."
JudyN

Re: Chew Toys

Post by JudyN »

You could try deer antlers, like these: http://www.myitchydog.co.uk/pure-dog-st ... -497-p.asp My dog lost interest after failing to make his respond to his play bows and invitations to chase him :roll: but most dogs seem to enjoy chewing them.

It does seem odd that your vet is suggesting indigestion tablets for throwing up, but I'm sure others more knowledgeable will comment. Some dogs bring up bile if they have an empty stomach so it may be worth trying a biscuit at bedtime if he doesn't already have one and he's fed early.
Jasper, lurcher, born December 2009
countrymassage23

TUMS settle heartburn, upset stomach, etc. They said that he could have some sort of reflux going on since he only throws up at night. He's never thrown up during the day..ever.

I will look for the antlers (I have some from deer I have killed actually), but usually he has no interest in hard toys - the rawhides are chewy and flavored. But if they are going to mess up his tummy I don't wanna give them to him.
bendog

Post by bendog »

Bully stick (pizzle sticks) are essentially the same as rawhide, but I think tend to be safer. They go soft in the same way rawhide does though. I also give my dogs raw carrots and cucumber to chew on
countrymassage23

I've tried the carrots and he looks at me like "really mom? wtf" lol.

I've never heard of pizzle sticks...do you have a link to them by chance? and are they sold in the US?
Ari_RR

Post by Ari_RR »

We get bully sticks from http://www.bestbullysticks.com

Cheers
Eugene
Ari, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Sept 2010 - Dec 2018.
Miles, Rhodesian Ridgeback, b. Nov 2018
Nettle

Post by Nettle »

I'd be getting him to a vet who will check for a blockage, for an intestinal infection, and for liver/kidney function.
A dog is never bad or naughty - it is simply being a dog

SET YOURSELF UP FOR SUCCESS
countrymassage23

They already checked him for all that stuff. He's fine - trust me, I got the vet bill. Not to mention, he acts fine - he's still the crazy dog he's always been, poop and everything is normal.
countrymassage23

...and I will get him a few of them from Petco when I go today :) Thanks!